Old 18-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Albizia julibrissin in the UK

Anyone growing it outside in the UK?
Is it hardy in the South?
How big does it get in the UK?
Does it flower OK every year and how long to get to flower?
What are the problems and pitfalls?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 18-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone growing it outside in the UK?
Is it hardy in the South?
How big does it get in the UK?
Does it flower OK every year and how long to get to flower?
What are the problems and pitfalls?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Haven't we all just discussed how slow it is in the UK? or is this my OE
newsreader giving me the original question after seeing all the replies?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
after Bob asked

Anyone growing it outside in the UK?
Is it hardy in the South?
How big does it get in the UK?
Does it flower OK every year and how long to get to flower?
What are the problems and pitfalls?

There's a thread on this very subject, Bob. It's still on my screen but
if
you want to look in the archives it started on 10 August. It's entitled
Albizia julibrissin Rosea flowering in England?

Thanks Sacha, I didn't know I was getting some until today and forgot to
search for previous threads, silly me. I've read Dave Poole's comments in
the previous thread now and all is clear. It's iffy. :-)

Old 18-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Bob Hobden

"Charlie Pridham" wrote after

"Bob asked
Anyone growing it outside in the UK?
Is it hardy in the South?
How big does it get in the UK?
Does it flower OK every year and how long to get to flower?
What are the problems and pitfalls?

Haven't we all just discussed how slow it is in the UK? or is this my OE
newsreader giving me the original question after seeing all the replies?

No it's not your OE it's me being silly and not checking for previous posts
first. Funny it should come up twice so soon though, it's not a common plant
in the UK.

Old 23-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Anthony Stokes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone growing it outside in the UK?
Is it hardy in the South?
How big does it get in the UK?
Does it flower OK every year and how long to get to flower?
What are the problems and pitfalls?

23rd August, just visited the RHS Wisley gardens and noticed three specimens
in very different environments all in flower.
1] The best and longest established is in the walled garden, having a trunk
about 2 inches thick and currently about 15ft high.
Interestingly the good quality of foliage and masses of pink flowers
are the same near the top of the tree ( which is well above the height of
the protective walls round the garden ) as much lower at 4 or 5 feet above
ground.

2] 2nd specimen is near the top of the hill and is growing through the cover
of a rhodedendron, and is also heavily shaded by tall holly and oak trees
nearby.
much more slender trunk than [1] , less high and with only a few
flowers. It really can't get many hours sunlight there, but looks to be
well established though neglected in a seldom visited part of the gardens.

3] 3rd specimen about 7ft high is in a big pot in the shop (out of doors
area) priced at £50 , and has a fair number of flowers blooming

No sign of any blooms this year on any of the three in my garden. I have
been finding it a struggle to get any leaves at all before June; and then
more of a struggle to get the leaves to stay healthy and functional until
the normal autumn fall period. At least the roots seem hardy.

Anthony