Old 23-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London

Hello Gilly, I grow plenty of shrubs - coz I like 'em. There are numerous perennials dotted around for bits of added colour. ( For example: yellow goes next to purple). My bedding plants go in pots on the patio, coz my ground is still so heavy and the annuals just die or get eaten if they are in the ground. Sounds like your garden is nice and wide but a bit short. Try placing a focal point on the diagonal - a big pot or urn, or sundial or bird bath, or summinck. Play around, try things, have a go. Take photos now, and again later. You can then see what worked and do it again, or if you didn't like a display, you know what to change round during the winter months.
Have fun,
:O)
Old 23-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Kay

In article , Gilly
writes

How do you manage your garden - do you compromise and grow only shrubs or
only perennials, or do you have an artistic touch? Advice anyone?

The main lesson that I've learnt is - just because I've grown x
successfully for a number of years doesn't mean to say I always have to
grow it. I'm learning that sometimes I have to root out even big and
healthy shrubs to make room for something I would prefer to grow.
Interests change.

--
Kay

Old 23-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Kay

On 19 Aug 2005 04:55:51 -0700, "Dani"
wrote:

1. Do I really need to put the thing in a sunny spot?

No. Mine is in almost complete shade

3. If I don't need to get the compost out in a hurry, would it be OK
to just pile stuff and let it rot down slowly, or is turning a
necessity to make it work at all?

No need to turn. The only turning mine gets is when I heave out the
unrotted stuff on top into another bin to get at the rotted stuff
underneath.

Don't look for perfection - rejoice in the difference between the junk
you put in and the rich mulch you get out.
--
Kay

Old 23-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Registered User