Old 21-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Geoff

Default Minarettes

Early this year I bought a couple of containerised minarette apple plants -
Queen Cox and Ambassy/Winter Gem - and they are doing well planted in two 60
cm square, 15 cm high terra cotta coloured wooden raised beds in a bark
covered part of my front garden. The beds are "mulched" with pea gravel -
looks quite effective.

The garden centre gave me a booklet entitled "Fruit Growers Handbook" which
tells when and how to prune. However, althought the booklet shows diagrams
of minarettes and details the plants' central leaders, laterals and
sub-laterals, its instructions tell one to cut laterals to three leaves,
about 4 inches and sub-laterals to one leaf above a basal cluster.

My question is, "What is a basal cluster?" for the booklet does not say.

Regards

Geoff

Old 21-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Brian

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
New growths will have a group[cluster] of near dormant buds at their
base. These are the "basal cluster" and the first leaf will be just one node
above. Now is the time for this pruning. Summer pruning for fruit~~ Winter
prune for vigour and growth.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 22-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Geoff

New growths will have a group[cluster] of near dormant buds at their
base. These are the "basal cluster" and the first leaf will be just one
node
above. Now is the time for this pruning. Summer pruning for fruit~~
Winter
prune for vigour and growth.

Brian,

Thanks for this information - now, if it will only stop raining . . . . .

Geoff

Old 22-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Alastair

You can get some good advice on minarettes from the Ken Muir website
www.kenmuir.co.uk

That's where I bought minarettes from a couple of years ago - looking
forward to harvesting my first fruit next month... )

Minarettes Geoff United Kingdom 1 26-09-2005 02:26 PM
Minarettes Dan Welch United Kingdom 2 12-12-2004 08:52 PM