Old 22-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Holly flowers.... to berries?

Greetings, friendly oracles of the garden world

My lone female holly bush has started to produce little white flowers.
(The garden centre didn't tell me that it was female and that I need a
male within 50 feet to fertilise it.)

My presumption is that, since there are no male holly bushes within a
five-mile radius that I know of, these flowers will not produce
berries. Or will they? Or should I go and cut some sprigs off a male
holly and wave them over the flowers? Obviously, I'd love some berries!

Excuse my astonishing ignorance. All advice much appreciated.

Dave

Old 22-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from contains these words:

Greetings, friendly oracles of the garden world

My lone female holly bush has started to produce little white flowers.
(The garden centre didn't tell me that it was female and that I need a
male within 50 feet to fertilise it.)

Assuming you are right and it *IS* female, you'd do better to plant a
male holly nearby. Pollination is done by insects.

You may get quicker flowering by rooting a substantial cutting from a
mature male tree rather than planting a small one grown from seed.

My presumption is that, since there are no male holly bushes within a
five-mile radius that I know of, these flowers will not produce
berries. Or will they? Or should I go and cut some sprigs off a male
holly and wave them over the flowers? Obviously, I'd love some berries!

Even given the proximity of male and female trees, berries are not
guaranteed. Back in the 'fifties when I was an anklebiter we used to
think our standard varigated holly (a good-sized tree with a 6"-or-so
diameter trunk) was male because we never saw a berry on it - then one
year, it was covered in berries...

Excuse my astonishing ignorance. All advice much appreciated.

Why should you know until you've been informed? Such knowledge isn't
inherited.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Brian

wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings, friendly oracles of the garden world

My lone female holly bush has started to produce little white flowers.
(The garden centre didn't tell me that it was female and that I need a
male within 50 feet to fertilise it.)

My presumption is that, since there are no male holly bushes within a
five-mile radius that I know of, these flowers will not produce
berries. Or will they? Or should I go and cut some sprigs off a male
holly and wave them over the flowers? Obviously, I'd love some berries!

Excuse my astonishing ignorance. All advice much appreciated.

Dave

___________________
This is a most unusual time for flowering. April/May is usual~~ so even if
it is female you are unlikely to find a male in bloom. Mine fruit well and
yet I know of no males nearby but there must be some in local hedges.
Be aware that for some devious reason or other hollies are given
"opposite sex" names. xxx King is female and xxxx Queen is male!!
Best Wishes Brian.
[ A great grandfather this week~~and at such a tender age!!]

Are holly berries toxic? Mike Lyle United Kingdom 0 11-02-2005 09:36 PM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
Holly berries - dead Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 22-06-2003 07:53 PM
holly berries hayley United Kingdom 9 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
What is plant with miniature potatoe flowers/berries paul United Kingdom 17 05-11-2002 07:46 AM