Old 25-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire
Default Duckweed

Hello.

I have a pond with duckweed infestation. How do I reslove this problem please?

Thank you.
Old 25-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I use a fishing net as often as I can be bothered. It soon spreads out and
takes over again though. It does no harm on the compost heap

--
TJolly

Old 25-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Totty

TJolly wrote:
Hello.

I have a pond with duckweed infestation. How do I reslove this problem
please?

Flour sieve tied to a pole---
Bucket---
Compost heap
As and when

--
Jo

Old 26-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty
TJolly wrote:
Hello.

I have a pond with duckweed infestation. How do I reslove this problem
please?

Flour sieve tied to a pole---
Bucket---
Compost heap
As and when

--
Jo
Thank you both for the response.

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of it?
Old 26-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Totty

TJolly wrote:
Totty Wrote:
TJolly wrote:-
Hello.

I have a pond with duckweed infestation. How do I reslove this
problem
please?-

Flour sieve tied to a pole---
Bucket---
Compost heap
As and when

Thank you both for the response.

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of
it?

I think anything that would kill the duckweed would also kill any other
plantlife in the pond.

--
Jo

Old 26-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Bob Hobden

"Totty" wrote ...

TJolly wrote:
Totty Wrote:
TJolly wrote:-
Hello.

I have a pond with duckweed infestation. How do I reslove this
problem
please?-

Flour sieve tied to a pole---
Bucket---
Compost heap
As and when

Thank you both for the response.

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of
it?

I think anything that would kill the duckweed would also kill any other
plantlife in the pond.

and probably the fish too.

Once in a pond it's almost impossible to eradicate it without emptying the
pond, letting it dry, scrubbing it out, letting it dry, and carefully
washing all plants before you put them back. One piece not seen and it's
back to square one again.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-08-2005, 07:03 PM
P.Burley

In article , TJolly.1udk81
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of
it?

Roundup will kill the duckweed but also any other plant it touches. And
no, it wont kill the fish!
A friend called in the environment agency to help him clear weed from a
fishing lake, the advice was 'roundup'. It apparently goes straight
through without causing any damage.
Old 26-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Totty

martin wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:27:04 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Once in a pond it's almost impossible to eradicate it without emptying the
pond, letting it dry, scrubbing it out, letting it dry, and carefully
washing all plants before you put them back. One piece not seen and it's
back to square one again.

So what makes it appear and disappear? Water temperature, oxygen
content? Some years the IJsselmeer is carpeted with the stuff, other
years not.
--

Don't know, only guessing, but maybe if it rains a lot there is soil
washed into the water and so more nutrients.

--
Jo

Old 26-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Bob Hobden

Pete B wrote after TJolly.asked

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of
it?

Roundup will kill the duckweed but also any other plant it touches. And
no, it wont kill the fish!
A friend called in the environment agency to help him clear weed from a
fishing lake, the advice was 'roundup'. It apparently goes straight
through without causing any damage.

I would like to see the scientific evidence for that statement before using
that weedkiller in a pond, effectively a closed environment.
If it is the case why all the fuss about it's use where human food is
concerned?

Old 27-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
Pete B wrote after TJolly.asked

Is their any chemical you can purchase that can completely get rid of
it?

Roundup will kill the duckweed but also any other plant it touches. And
no, it wont kill the fish!
A friend called in the environment agency to help him clear weed from a
fishing lake, the advice was 'roundup'. It apparently goes straight
through without causing any damage.

I would like to see the scientific evidence for that statement before using
that weedkiller in a pond, effectively a closed environment.
If it is the case why all the fuss about it's use where human food is
concerned?

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London
Roundup instructions says 'harmfull to fish'. Looks like the sieve is the way forward.

\thank you all for your help.

Old 28-08-2005, 11:25 PM
roddy

I've had a problem keeping it around: a few large koi or a bunch of biggish
goldfish will gobble it up.
Used to feed it to them! It doesn't get a chance to survive.
Overstook the pond with biggish fish.
Roddy

Old 29-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Kay

In article , roddy nospam@nosp
am.*rojo*.clara.co.uk writes
I've had a problem keeping it around: a few large koi or a bunch of biggish
goldfish will gobble it up.
Used to feed it to them! It doesn't get a chance to survive.
Overstook the pond with biggish fish.

Though remember the fish will take more than just the duckweed ..

Old 29-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , roddy nospam@nosp
am.*rojo*.clara.co.uk writes
I've had a problem keeping it around: a few large koi or a bunch of biggish
goldfish will gobble it up.
Used to feed it to them! It doesn't get a chance to survive.
Overstook the pond with biggish fish.

Though remember the fish will take more than just the duckweed ..

So *THAT'S* where the Saturday Boy went...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:57:30 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , roddy nospam@nosp
am.*rojo*.clara.co.uk writes

I've had a problem keeping it around: a few large koi or a bunch
of biggish
goldfish will gobble it up.
Used to feed it to them! It doesn't get a chance to survive.
Overstook the pond with biggish fish.

Though remember the fish will take more than just the duckweed ..

So *THAT'S* where the Saturday Boy went...

and
the newspaper boy
the postman
the meter man

And that nice double-glazing salesman.

Old 29-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , roddy
nospam@nosp
am.*rojo*.clara.co.uk writes

I've had a problem keeping it around: a few large koi or a bunch
of biggish
goldfish will gobble it up.
Used to feed it to them! It doesn't get a chance to survive.
Overstook the pond with biggish fish.

Though remember the fish will take more than just the duckweed ..

So *THAT'S* where the Saturday Boy went...

and
the newspaper boy
the postman
the meter man