GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yellowing courgettes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101986-yellowing-courgettes.html)

Stargirl 28-08-2005 11:15 PM

Yellowing courgettes?

Hi all

Allotmenteering is going better than anticipated!

Have been quite successful with courgettes but just lately they have started to turn yellow. They are nice and firm, not soft or gooey, and taste fine but I wonder what is causing it. The leaves are a bit mildewy and some have also gone yellow.

What am I doing wrong?!

Any advice......

Cheers

Kay 29-08-2005 09:22 AM

In article , Stargirl Stargirl.1ui6
writes

Hi all

Allotmenteering is going better than anticipated!

Have been quite successful with courgettes but just lately they have
started to turn yellow. They are nice and firm, not soft or gooey, and
taste fine but I wonder what is causing it.

Could they conceivably be one of the yellow varieties?

The leaves are a bit
mildewy

Tends to happen if there isn't quite enough water. Doesn't matter if
it's not severe.

and some have also gone yellow.

If it's just the bottom leaves, then it's natural dying off. The leaves
don't last forever.

If it's all of them, and you aren't feeding the plant, try feeding it.

--
Kay

Pam Moore 29-08-2005 11:53 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:22:43 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Stargirl Stargirl.1ui6
writes

Hi all

Allotmenteering is going better than anticipated!

Have been quite successful with courgettes but just lately they have
started to turn yellow. They are nice and firm, not soft or gooey, and
taste fine but I wonder what is causing it.

Could they conceivably be one of the yellow varieties?

I grow Gold Rush, a yellow cougette which I find is more productive
than the green ones.

Pam in Bristol

Bob Smith 29-08-2005 02:56 PM

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Stargirl Stargirl.1ui6
writes

Hi all

Allotmenteering is going better than anticipated!

Have been quite successful with courgettes but just lately they have
started to turn yellow. They are nice and firm, not soft or gooey, and
taste fine but I wonder what is causing it.

Could they conceivably be one of the yellow varieties?

The leaves are a bit
mildewy

Tends to happen if there isn't quite enough water. Doesn't matter if
it's not severe.

and some have also gone yellow.

If it's just the bottom leaves, then it's natural dying off. The leaves
don't last forever.

If it's all of them, and you aren't feeding the plant, try feeding it.

What is best to feed them? I have been using tomato food on mine.

Bob

Mike Lyle 30-08-2005 10:13 PM

Bob Smith wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Tomato food is fine, as for roses. But actually, any old balanced
fertiliser will do, especially in the open ground. Thought I do
wonder if it's getting a bit late in the year to bother.

--
Mike.