Old 29-08-2005, 01:38 PM
H Ryder

Default chainsaws

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Old 29-08-2005, 02:08 PM
bigjon

H Ryder decided to add:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Not too hard if you follow a few simple rules...
but I would suggest that if you are afraid of it you should not even open
the box!

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestr.../byw_saw_6.htm
Old 29-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bigjon wrote:
H Ryder decided to add:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.

Not too hard if you follow a few simple rules...
but I would suggest that if you are afraid of it you should not even open
the box!

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestr.../byw_saw_6.htm

Cutting up logs on a horse is relatively easy; cutting down trees
is a LOT trickier. My fater-in-law gave us one, which we thanked
him kindly for, gave it garage space and will transfer direct to
the tip.

I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw - and I am neither an expert nor do it regularly.
Get a 30-36" bowsaw with a decent blade and leave the chainsaw in
the box.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2005, 10:03 AM
H Ryder

I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw

do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
using it instead.
Hayley

Old 30-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

| I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
| day with a bowsaw
|
| do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
| using it instead.

!!!!! No. One foot. I have cut down and cut up trees of 1"
diameter in less than a minute :-)

Make sure that your bow saw is big enough and has a decent blade.
Buy a new one unless the blade feels VERY sharp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2005, 11:09 AM

H Ryder wrote:
I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw

do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
using it instead.

1" is one inch, 1' is one foot.

FWIW I use a chainsaw for felling trees and I'm basically self taught.

HOWEVER (!) I used the chainsaw for many years for simply cutting logs
before I tried felling a tree and I also looked at various places on
the web and in books to get information about how to safely fell
trees.

I wouldn't really recommend taking a 'new' chainsaw out of the box and
immediately trying to fell a tree with it.

--
Chris Green

Old 30-08-2005, 11:39 AM
John

I'd agree about leaving it in the box if you're not practised.

If the trees are large, get a contractor. He will have the extra
benefit to you of disposing of the all the debris; when down, a tree is
2 or 3 times the size it seemed when it was 'up'!

If the trees are not so large (and I myself would take down one with a
trunk up to a foot thick), nobody else has yet said:

- saw off all the boughs progressively from the top down.
- saw off pieces of the trunk until it's about 8' (that's feet) tall
- dig round the roots, attach a rope to the top of the 8' "stump",
recruit the neighbours (or use the car) and pull the stump over.

There is no work in the garden harder than digging up a tree stump, so
use the leverage of the tree itself to do you that one last service.

have fun
john
Old 30-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John writes:

| If the trees are not so large (and I myself would take down one with a
| trunk up to a foot thick), nobody else has yet said:
|
| - saw off all the boughs progressively from the top down.
| - saw off pieces of the trunk until it's about 8' (that's feet) tall

Depending on its shape, yes. Some trees are better done slightly
differently.

| - dig round the roots, attach a rope to the top of the 8' "stump",
| recruit the neighbours (or use the car) and pull the stump over.

Nah. And pull the towing bracket out of the car, ending up with
a bill that will dwarf that of employing a "tree surgeon". Most
modern cars aren't up to the job for stumps large enough to be a
problem digging out.

| There is no work in the garden harder than digging up a tree stump, so
| use the leverage of the tree itself to do you that one last service.

It's not as hard as all that for trees of up to about 1' in diameter
and pretty easy for ones of up to 6", if you have enough space, the
right tools[*] and take your time. It is a real pain if you don't
have enough space to dig the stump out. And, above about 1', stumps
get HEAVY.
[*] Including a grub-axe, sharp axes and enough beer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2005, 01:35 PM

John wrote:
I'd agree about leaving it in the box if you're not practised.

If the trees are large, get a contractor. He will have the extra
benefit to you of disposing of the all the debris; when down, a tree is
2 or 3 times the size it seemed when it was 'up'!

If the trees are not so large (and I myself would take down one with a
trunk up to a foot thick), nobody else has yet said:

- saw off all the boughs progressively from the top down.

Don't do this with a chainsaw if it involves being up a ladder,
working with a chainsaw off the ground is a highly skilled occupation
for which you need sereiopus training.

- saw off pieces of the trunk until it's about 8' (that's feet) tall
- dig round the roots, attach a rope to the top of the 8' "stump",
recruit the neighbours (or use the car) and pull the stump over.

There is no work in the garden harder than digging up a tree stump, so
use the leverage of the tree itself to do you that one last service.

Always assumes you want to be rid of the stump of course.

Felling a whole tree is easier/safer if you cut it two or three feet
from the ground.

--
Chris Green

Old 29-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.

Well, there are chainsaws and power saws.

Chainsaws break down into two types, remote, and operated with cords
(difficult), and hand, (fairly easy).

However, I expect you mean power saws. These can be quite easy,
especially the electric ones, but the petrol driven ones can be very
idiosyncratic.

Most of them have excellent safety features these days, so assuming that
it isn't too heavy for you to use comfortably, go for it.

A few rules:

Correct CUT
________________________________/ /
| Free end, weight _||_
________________________ ___________ \ /
\ \ \/

Wrong CUT
________________________________/ /
Free end, weight _||_
_______________|________ ___________ \ /
\ \ \/

Correct CUT (Upwards)
______________________________/ /
| |
|________________|_______________|
/ \ / \
| | | |
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Wrong CUT
______________________________/ /
| | |
|________________________________|
/ \ / \
| | | |
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
(cut will tighten on the blade)

| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| Fall | | Fall | | FALL |
| --- | | --- | | --- |
| | | | | Even |
| OK | |BETTER| |BETTER|
|___ | |\ | Second |\ |
| | | \ | cut | \ __| First cut
| | | \| | |
| | | | | |

But the angle of the downward cuts is a lot less steep

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are

afraid
to touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of
trees with them.

Well, there are chainsaws and power saws.

Chainsaws break down into two types, remote, and operated with

cords
(difficult), and hand, (fairly easy).

However, I expect you mean power saws. These can be quite easy,
especially the electric ones, but the petrol driven ones can be

very
idiosyncratic.

Most of them have excellent safety features these days, so assuming
that it isn't too heavy for you to use comfortably, go for it.

A few rules:

[...sensible rules snipped...]

I don't care what Rusty says: forget it. The things are *******s, and
you must have had a proper ATB or similar training course, and _all_
the correct protective gear. I wouldn't, in fact, even recommend one
of the Mickey-Mouse Black and Decker ones. A good bow saw costs very
little, and will do your small job well and quickly. If that's beyond
your capabilities or experience, _please_ pay a properly insured
professional.

--
Mike.

Wanted Old or Broken Chainsaws Chip North Carolina 0 25-10-2005 08:10 PM
Wanted Broken Chainsaws, Weed Trimmers and Blowers Chip North Carolina 0 13-09-2005 08:49 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 03:42 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 03:42 PM
Poulan Pro Chainsaws any good? Oscar_lives Lawns 23 20-11-2003 01:12 AM