Old 29-08-2005, 01:38 PM
H Ryder

Default chainsaws

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Old 29-08-2005, 02:08 PM
bigjon

H Ryder decided to add:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Not too hard if you follow a few simple rules...
but I would suggest that if you are afraid of it you should not even open
the box!

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestr.../byw_saw_6.htm
Old 29-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.

Well, there are chainsaws and power saws.

Chainsaws break down into two types, remote, and operated with cords
(difficult), and hand, (fairly easy).

However, I expect you mean power saws. These can be quite easy,
especially the electric ones, but the petrol driven ones can be very
idiosyncratic.

Most of them have excellent safety features these days, so assuming that
it isn't too heavy for you to use comfortably, go for it.

A few rules:

Correct CUT
________________________________/ /
| Free end, weight _||_
________________________ ___________ \ /
\ \ \/

Wrong CUT
________________________________/ /
Free end, weight _||_
_______________|________ ___________ \ /
\ \ \/

Correct CUT (Upwards)
______________________________/ /
| |
|________________|_______________|
/ \ / \
| | | |
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Wrong CUT
______________________________/ /
| | |
|________________________________|
/ \ / \
| | | |
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
(cut will tighten on the blade)

| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| Fall | | Fall | | FALL |
| --- | | --- | | --- |
| | | | | Even |
| OK | |BETTER| |BETTER|
|___ | |\ | Second |\ |
| | | \ | cut | \ __| First cut
| | | \| | |
| | | | | |

But the angle of the downward cuts is a lot less steep

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Charlie Pridham

"H Ryder" wrote in message
How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Its certainly worth being wary of them, without training I would advise
against working up the tree or a ladder. but on the ground they are not so
bad and can speed things up. good idea to wear eye protection, not good to
get sawdust or bits in your eye while wielding a live chain saw.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Draven

"H Ryder" wrote in message
How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

I used on recently with no problem.
Then I cut my hand whilst cleaning it after use. Doh!!

Old 29-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Brian

"H Ryder" wrote in message
How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

_________________
I have owned and worked with chainsaws, regularly, since they were a
two man machine with one at each end. I take few precautions and find them
easy to use. HOWEVER many like minded have lost lives or limbs. Few are as
stupid as I, these days.
A chainsaw is exceptionally dangerous~~ the most simple, and easy to use,
being the worst. More so than a loaded gun!
One major problem you will have to overcome is the sharpening of the
chain~~~ it requires great expertise and lasts for only about an hour.
Special clothes are also a must.
Electric saws are of little use other than heavy duty pruning and still
need sharpening.
In your position I would advise great caution and would suggest that a
Swedish bladed bow- saw would be your best option. They are very effective
but still need horse-hide gloves~~ if you are inexperienced.
Take care.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 29-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
bigjon wrote:
H Ryder decided to add:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.

Not too hard if you follow a few simple rules...
but I would suggest that if you are afraid of it you should not even open
the box!

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestr.../byw_saw_6.htm

Cutting up logs on a horse is relatively easy; cutting down trees
is a LOT trickier. My fater-in-law gave us one, which we thanked
him kindly for, gave it garage space and will transfer direct to
the tip.

I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw - and I am neither an expert nor do it regularly.
Get a 30-36" bowsaw with a decent blade and leave the chainsaw in
the box.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Rod Craddock

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are
afraid to
touch it.

Very sensible. Chainsaw maintenance requires sensible precautions
by
their owners (having the right chain fitted correctly and kept
sharp).
For our OWN safety, let alone anyone else's, we would never lend
ours to
an unsupervised novice. An owner who would lend it to you with no
instruction, strongly suggests to me that his attitude to chainsaw
safety and maintenance is very casual, so it may not be safe to
use.

My employer has just told us all we now have to do a 'refresher'
course every 2 years, even though we are all experienced and frequent
users of many years standing and who have held NPTC certificates since
they became obligatory for people who use chainsaws at work.
This is following a case where a county council was fined £200,000
when one of their countryside wardens was killed when he dropped a not
particularly big tree on himself.
You really do need to know what you're doing - many of us elder
brethren taught ourselves to use chainsaws, but only after years of
doing what Janet suggests - that is learning pruning and felling
slowly by hand first.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 29-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Bob Hobden

Rod wrote after...
Janet replied to Hayley:

[...]

Certainly don't use one without the proper protective trousers ( they jam
the blade if cut), gloves, face mask and steel toecap boots. If your friend
didn't lend those to you too then I would certainly worry. I would never use
a chainsaw without being properly dressed for the part. Oh, and never whilst
up a ladder.
Best use a handsaw which can cause enough damage in the wrong hands. :-)
If it's clean and sharp it will cut surprising easily.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 30-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Ryder
How easy are these to use? Someone has lent us one but we are afraid to
touch it. We are thinking of trying to dismantle a couple of trees with
them.
Hayley

Pay a professional to do it! Make sure that they produce up-to-date certification. If they can’t they are not insured, if they are not insured and something goes wrong they will sue you – so relivant certs are a must.

If you are going to be silly and DIY, don’t even think about using a chainsaw without the right clothing and instructions for safe usage. One mistake and you will spend the rest of your life regretting being a tightwade.

Oh and make sure that you get all the roots out or you’ll end up doing the same thing every few years.

Rich
Old 30-08-2005, 10:03 AM
H Ryder

I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw

do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
using it instead.
Hayley

Old 30-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

| I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
| day with a bowsaw
|
| do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
| using it instead.

!!!!! No. One foot. I have cut down and cut up trees of 1"
diameter in less than a minute :-)

Make sure that your bow saw is big enough and has a decent blade.
Buy a new one unless the blade feels VERY sharp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2005, 11:09 AM

H Ryder wrote:
I have cut down and cut up trees of 1' in diameter in less than a
day with a bowsaw

do you mean 1 inch? We also have a bow saw and have been wondering about
using it instead.

1" is one inch, 1' is one foot.

FWIW I use a chainsaw for felling trees and I'm basically self taught.

HOWEVER (!) I used the chainsaw for many years for simply cutting logs
before I tried felling a tree and I also looked at various places on
the web and in books to get information about how to safely fell
trees.

I wouldn't really recommend taking a 'new' chainsaw out of the box and
immediately trying to fell a tree with it.

--
Chris Green

Wanted Old or Broken Chainsaws Chip North Carolina 0 25-10-2005 08:10 PM
Wanted Broken Chainsaws, Weed Trimmers and Blowers Chip North Carolina 0 13-09-2005 08:49 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 03:42 PM
chainsaws jam Gardening 0 25-03-2004 03:42 PM
Poulan Pro Chainsaws any good? Oscar_lives Lawns 23 20-11-2003 01:12 AM