GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which climbing rose? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/102106-climbing-rose.html)

Ed Rear 31-08-2005 05:38 PM

Which climbing rose?

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

Janet Baraclough 31-08-2005 07:27 PM

The message
from "Ed Rear" contains these words:

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from
about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

More info needed. How much space is there to fill with rose (height
and width)? . What's on the other side of the fence? Which part of the
country do you live in?

Janet

Sarah Dale 31-08-2005 07:28 PM

Ed Rear wrote:
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

I have had good luck with the climbing variant of Paul's Scarlet and
Dance de Feu (sorry - you'll need to check the spelling on that!)

Sarah.

pammyT 02-09-2005 11:47 AM

"Ed Rear" wrote in message
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from

about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

my favourite is 'Masquerade'. The flowers start off red, and go through
orange, and turn into yellow. It lloks wonderful.

Ed Rear 02-09-2005 02:14 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ed Rear" contains these words:

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I
would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from
about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion
of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

More info needed. How much space is there to fill with rose (height
and width)? . What's on the other side of the fence? Which part of the
country do you live in?

Janet

Thanks Janet
Fence is 2 Metres high, and 5 Metres wide. Public access path on other side.
South East (Hertfordshire)
I have been looking at "Dublin Bay", which apparently has a long flowering
season, which would be my priority. However any advice would be very
welcome.
Ed

Janet Baraclough 02-09-2005 09:14 PM

The message
[...]

Well, you're likely to have a public-safety issue if a rose puts
thorny stems over a public footpath at eye level. So, consider rose
Zepherine Drouhin, which is almost thornless, has a long flowering
period, very healthy, with scented, large double dark pink flowers.

Janet.

Trevor Appleton 04-09-2005 09:48 PM

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"Ed Rear" wrote in message
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I
would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from

about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion
of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

my favourite is 'Masquerade'. The flowers start off red, and go through
orange, and turn into yellow. It lloks wonderful.

'Guinee' deep red flowers off and on all summer.

gasdoctor 05-09-2005 09:55 PM

Good thread, what if the fence was 3m wide, 2-3m tall and i want to discourage climbing on the fence. Faces south west.

cheers (sorry to hijack the thread)

Ed