Old 31-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Ed Rear

Default Which climbing rose?

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

Old 31-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Ed Rear" contains these words:

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from
about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

More info needed. How much space is there to fill with rose (height
and width)? . What's on the other side of the fence? Which part of the
country do you live in?

Janet
Old 31-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Sarah Dale

Ed Rear wrote:
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

I have had good luck with the climbing variant of Paul's Scarlet and
Dance de Feu (sorry - you'll need to check the spelling on that!)

Sarah.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
pammyT

"Ed Rear" wrote in message
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from

about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

my favourite is 'Masquerade'. The flowers start off red, and go through
orange, and turn into yellow. It lloks wonderful.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Ed Rear

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ed Rear" contains these words:

I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I
would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from
about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion
of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?

More info needed. How much space is there to fill with rose (height
and width)? . What's on the other side of the fence? Which part of the
country do you live in?

Janet

Thanks Janet
Fence is 2 Metres high, and 5 Metres wide. Public access path on other side.
South East (Hertfordshire)
I have been looking at "Dublin Bay", which apparently has a long flowering
season, which would be my priority. However any advice would be very
welcome.
Ed

Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Janet Baraclough

[...]

Well, you're likely to have a public-safety issue if a rose puts
thorny stems over a public footpath at eye level. So, consider rose
Zepherine Drouhin, which is almost thornless, has a long flowering
period, very healthy, with scented, large double dark pink flowers.

Janet.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Trevor Appleton

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"Ed Rear" wrote in message
I have just cut down my privet hedge and replaced it with fencing. I
would
like to grow climbing roses to cover the fence. The site gets sun from

about
11am to 2pm.
Ideally I would like red roses, with a long flowering season. Profusion
of
blooms more important than size. Can anyone offer any advice to a novice?
Ed

my favourite is 'Masquerade'. The flowers start off red, and go through
orange, and turn into yellow. It lloks wonderful.

'Guinee' deep red flowers off and on all summer.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Registered User

Good thread, what if the fence was 3m wide, 2-3m tall and i want to discourage climbing on the fence. Faces south west.

cheers (sorry to hijack the thread)

Ed