Old 01-09-2005, 12:17 PM
hillier

Default trimming leeks

I have some leeks growing well and have cut the tops back twice to keep them
tidy which they have responded to very well. Should I carry on cutting them
back and for how long? Also I have some more growing which are still a bit
small for planting out, is it worth carrying on with them ( will they over
winter) ? I realise they are all a bit late but I couldn't get any in at the
right time.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

I have been growing leeks for 3 or 4 years now and have never cut the tops
back - the only reason I can think of for doing this is if the plot is very
exposed and winds might rock the plants - if that doesn't apply, then I
would leave them. With regards to planting out more, it probably depends on
the type - I grow Musselburgh which are basically a winter leek - I start
using them about November and keep digging them as and when required right
through to March - they do start to go a bit woody by then but they are fine
for soups

Jeanne

Old 01-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Bob Hobden

"hillier" wrote
I have some leeks growing well and have cut the tops back twice to keep
them tidy which they have responded to very well. Should I carry on cutting
them back and for how long? Also I have some more growing which are still a
bit small for planting out, is it worth carrying on with them ( will they
over winter) ? I realise they are all a bit late but I couldn't get any in
at the right time.

I've never heard of anyone cutting back the tops of Leeks before (except
after the Leek Moth grubs destroy the foliage). You will have probably
delayed/stunted the growth of these plants.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 Bob Hobden wrote:

I have some leeks growing well and have cut the tops back twice to keep
them tidy which they have responded to very well. Should I carry on cutting
them back and for how long? Also I have some more growing which are still a
bit small for planting out, is it worth carrying on with them ( will they
over winter) ? I realise they are all a bit late but I couldn't get any in
at the right time.

I've never heard of anyone cutting back the tops of Leeks before (except
after the Leek Moth grubs destroy the foliage). You will have probably
delayed/stunted the growth of these plants.

My French neighbour cuts off the tops of young leeks, usually in
October/November, to make soup. Doesn't seem to make any difference to
their growth.

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM