Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Roger Tonkin

Default Raspberres

A number of my summer raspberries are trying to turn into autumn
fruiting ones, by fruiting now on the new canes that would normally
fruit next summer.

What should I do with these canes?

a) Just leave them alone
b) Cut them out to ground level as I cut back the other summer fruited canes
c) Cut them down to about 9" as you do newly planted canes to encourage
new canes next year
d) Something else (other than eat thre raspberries, which of course I am
doing!)

Roger T
Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:23:12 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

A number of my summer raspberries are trying to turn into autumn
fruiting ones, by fruiting now on the new canes that would normally
fruit next summer.

What should I do with these canes?

a) Just leave them alone
b) Cut them out to ground level as I cut back the other summer fruited canes
c) Cut them down to about 9" as you do newly planted canes to encourage
new canes next year
d) Something else (other than eat thre raspberries, which of course I am
doing!)

I have summer and autumn fruiting raspberries but I now treat them all
as autumn fruiters. I cut them all down in winter and they all do
equally well.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
J Jackson

:
: What should I do with these canes?
:
: a) Just leave them alone
: b) Cut them out to ground level as I cut back the other summer fruited canes
: c) Cut them down to about 9" as you do newly planted canes to encourage
: new canes next year
: d) Something else (other than eat thre raspberries, which of course I am
: doing!)

I'd eat the rasperries let them fruit and them prune them out.

: I have summer and autumn fruiting raspberries but I now treat them all
: as autumn fruiters. I cut them all down in winter and they all do
: equally well.

Some varieties will not do this, except in exceptional weather. I suspect
you are just left with the autumn fruiting ones and have eradicated the
summer ones.

I actually do the opposite. In my autumn raspberry bed, I leave a few late
canes that have neither fruited or only frutied at the very tip over
winter for a pretty early picking of berries in early June. My normal
summer varieties take over cropping when those have finished, then the
autumn ones kick in till the bad weather in Nov.