GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Turf compost bin? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/104376-turf-compost-bin.html)

sherman 07-09-2005 05:02 PM

Turf compost bin?

Hello all, great site!

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a number of searches here and didn't find anything directly relevant.

I'm stripping the turf off an area approx. 90ft by 20ft.

I was thinking of stacking my turves to make loam, when a thought occurred to me: why not build a compost bin using the stacked turves as walls? This way I'd get some use out of the turves, and would have a compost bin in situ for the next 12 months while waiting for the turves to rot down.

Is this a good idea or are there pitfalls with this plan? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

JB 08-09-2005 11:35 AM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:02:58 +0000, sherman
wrote:

Hello all, great site!

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a number of searches
here and didn't find anything directly relevant.

I'm stripping the turf off an area approx. 90ft by 20ft.

I was thinking of stacking my turves to make loam, when a thought
occurred to me: why not build a compost bin using the stacked turves as
walls? This way I'd get some use out of the turves, and would have a
compost bin in situ for the next 12 months while waiting for the turves
to rot down.

Is this a good idea or are there pitfalls with this plan? Any input
would be greatly appreciated!

I think gardeners world were trialling exactly that as one of the
methods in a comparitive compost test. So presumably there's nothing
fundamentally wrong with the idea.

JB

nambucca 09-09-2005 10:26 PM

--

They did it on Gardeners world the other week so why not