Old 07-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Dublin, Ireland
Default Turf compost bin?

Hello all, great site!

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a number of searches here and didn't find anything directly relevant.

I'm stripping the turf off an area approx. 90ft by 20ft.

I was thinking of stacking my turves to make loam, when a thought occurred to me: why not build a compost bin using the stacked turves as walls? This way I'd get some use out of the turves, and would have a compost bin in situ for the next 12 months while waiting for the turves to rot down.

Is this a good idea or are there pitfalls with this plan? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
JB

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:02:58 +0000, sherman
wrote:

Hello all, great site!

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a number of searches
here and didn't find anything directly relevant.

I'm stripping the turf off an area approx. 90ft by 20ft.

I was thinking of stacking my turves to make loam, when a thought
occurred to me: why not build a compost bin using the stacked turves as
walls? This way I'd get some use out of the turves, and would have a
compost bin in situ for the next 12 months while waiting for the turves
to rot down.

Is this a good idea or are there pitfalls with this plan? Any input
would be greatly appreciated!

I think gardeners world were trialling exactly that as one of the
methods in a comparitive compost test. So presumably there's nothing
fundamentally wrong with the idea.

JB

Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
nambucca

--

They did it on Gardeners world the other week so why not

Compost and the Compost Bin ..... 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 18-04-2011 07:47 AM
Convert a wheelie bin to a compost bin help! miljee United Kingdom 16 28-10-2006 01:58 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM