Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Richard Parker

Default Japanese Cedar dying

Hi all,

My mother in law has a Cryptomeria japonica that seems to be brown &
dying from the centre, is this a normal die back or should she be
worried?

Rich
--
Richard Parker

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Spider

Richard Parker wrote in message
Hi all,

My mother in law has a Cryptomeria japonica that seems to be brown &
dying from the centre, is this a normal die back or should she be
worried?

Rich
--
Richard Parker

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Hi Richard,

We have a Cryptomeria jap. 'Elegans' which is established and mature. It is
quite thick through and seems very healthy, but is brown in the middle and
at fox-spraying level! It is not unusual for a dense shrub (or hedge) to be
brown in the centre. This is due to lack of light at the heart of the
plant. If this is all you're seeing on your m-i-l's tree, then you don't
need to worry.

I'm not aware of any disease specific to Cryptomeria, but many conifers
suffer from a fungal attack called Phytophthera, and you may wish to
research this. Another possibility may be drought stress; another may be
water-logging, if you're in an area that has suffered from heavy rain or
flooding. Sometimes roots are damaged by water-logging over winter, but the
above-ground damage does not appear until summer - perhaps after a period of
drought with which the diminished roots cannot cope.

I sincerely hope your m-i-l's tree is only showing light-deficiency browning
and is otherwise well. They are lovely trees.

Spider