Old 13-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Sacha

Default Abbotsbury gardens

Yesterday, we went to the tropical gardens at Abbotsbury in Dorset. They're
very well worth a visit. There are a lot of rare and unusual trees and
shrubs and they're just starting again to propagate things from the gardens.
The plant sales centre is good and will be even better, IMO. All the staff
are friendly and helpful and it's a lovely place to wander through. We
didn't use the tea room but it's attractively designed and inviting. To
complete a good day out, you can then visit the swannery at Abbotsbury.
It's owned by the same family and you can buy a ticket for both at either.
The feeding times at the swannery are 10am and 4pm and we were lucky enough
to be there at 4pm. It is an amazing and awe-inspiring sight as the swans
and some rogue Canada geese, gather as 4pm approaches - their body clocks
are certainly working! It's a very good idea to aim to be there at one
feeding time or another, especially with children, who are invited to go
into the feeding area and help distribute the grain.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Ornata

Yesterday, we went to the tropical gardens at Abbotsbury in Dorset.
They're
very well worth a visit.
I went there last year and the one before for their "Floodlights and
candles" week at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov, when from dusk the
garden is subject to an array of lighting effects. They use coloured
theatrical floodlights to great dramatic effect, and the main paths are
candle-lit. After having walked around the garden during the day, its
night-time transformation was magical. Just don't make the mistake of
going on Halloween, unless, of course, you enjoy the company of hoards
of overexcited children dressed as vampires, along with their frankly
bored older siblings and parents.
That aside, it's very impressive what they can grow in their particular
microclimate. Also, a trip to the tearoom is worth it for the pleasure
of sitting out on the wooden veranda looking onto the palms and
enjoying a nice bottle of real ale.

Old 13-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

~~~~~~~~~
Their display of Cotinus is the best I've seen. It really 'smoked'
when we were there. I also noticed that local villagers use Pyracantha
against their house-fronts, to great effect and in all colours.
Well worth the visit.
Best Wishes Brian.