GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Algae on polytunnel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10576-algae-polytunnel.html)

Nick Maclaren 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Algae on polytunnel

I have this problem. I tried scrubbing with a broom, but I need to
get a lot of water on and the algae were pretty adhesive. Is there
a way of loosening them without damaging the polythene? I am inclined
to try dilute bleach.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Algae on polytunnel

That is what I used to use for the 'problem'..no longer use as no longer
have a polytunnel.

HW

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Algae on polytunnel

The message

I have this problem. I tried scrubbing with a broom, but I need to
get a lot of water on and the algae were pretty adhesive. Is there
a way of loosening them without damaging the polythene? I am inclined
to try dilute bleach.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,

I use washing-up liquid in warmish water and a broom like you. It's
never pristine and I don't get to reach the top but the slightly soapy
water seems to budge most of the algae.

Janet G

jim 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Algae on polytunnel

On 15 Mar 2003 12:16:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

I have this problem. I tried scrubbing with a broom, but I need to
get a lot of water on and the algae were pretty adhesive. Is there
a way of loosening them without damaging the polythene? I am inclined
to try dilute bleach.

I did mine two months ago with jays fluid, just brush it on with a
yard brush, go have a cuppa, then power hose it off, not a trace of it
now :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

regards
jim

Charlie Pridham 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Algae on polytunnel

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I have this problem. I tried scrubbing with a broom, but I need to
get a lot of water on and the algae were pretty adhesive. Is there
a way of loosening them without damaging the polythene? I am inclined
to try dilute bleach.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,

That's what we use, extended kitchen floor mop for the sides and a bit of
string over the tunnel with an old towel in the middle for the top (does
require cooperative wife!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk