GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   turf (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10641-turf.html)

kev 16-03-2003 09:08 PM

turf

Hello,

Complete gardening novice here.

I'm thinking about having a new laid. Lawn area is approx 80 Sq Meters.

I have a few questions:

1) How much approx will it cost? I don't want a bowling green for a lawn but
a nice grass.

2) Is it worth doing myself? or shall I get someone in?

3) Would I need any special tools to do it?

4) Can anyone recommend anyone in the Hampshire area who supplies and lay's
turf?

Many thanks

Kevin

Warwick Dumas 18-03-2003 07:20 PM

turf

"kev" wrote in message
Hello,

Complete gardening novice here.

I'm thinking about having a new laid. Lawn area is approx 80 Sq Meters.

I have a few questions:

1) How much approx will it cost? I don't want a bowling green for a lawn

but
a nice grass.

15 pounds?

2) Is it worth doing myself? or shall I get someone in?

If you get someone else to do anything in the garden, they will charge the
earth. All you need is a couple of big boxes of lawn seed which you can get
in any DIY shop.

3) Would I need any special tools to do it?

A rake, to scarify the surface of the soil, if it has been crushed. You only
really need to make sure the ground is firm and even, and that the surface
is friable.

gastropod 19-03-2003 06:08 PM

turf

Reasonable rolled truf will cost anything from £3.00. To prepare and lay a
turf lawn of that size will take twoor three man days depending on the lay
of the land.
In other words, for me or a colleague to lay a turf lawn would cost £600!
Listen to Warwick. The benefits of a seeded lwan are that it will fit the
patch well and will not sink in poorly prepared spots.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com