Old 18-09-2005, 08:53 PM
fifijojo

Default good quality top soil

Hi

I re-doing a border in my garden and need some more soil. Where do I get
really good quality top soil from and is that the best thing to use or would
manure or multi purpose compost be best ? The last lot of top soil I got was
rubbish and full of non-soil items.....but that was when the foot and mouth
scare was on and it was the only place I could get it from.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Fifi

Old 19-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Emrys Davies

"fifijojo" wrote in message
Hi

I re-doing a border in my garden and need some more soil. Where do I

get
really good quality top soil from and is that the best thing to use or

would
manure or multi purpose compost be best ? The last lot of top soil I

got was
rubbish and full of non-soil items.....but that was when the foot and

mouth
scare was on and it was the only place I could get it from.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Fifi

You do not give a rough estimate of the area which you are trying to
improve, neither do you say, with certainty, that you need to raise the
level of the soil or whether you need to improve the texture of the soil
which you already have.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 19-09-2005, 08:25 AM

I researched this a while ago after a similar bad experience with a
local supplier. It seemed that British Sugar topsoil (google on those 3
words) was the best quality going, and in the quantity I was looking
for at the time (20 tons or so), by far the cheapest.

Old 19-09-2005, 08:19 PM
fifijojo

oops, about 9 meters by 1 meter bed, needs raising by about 3-4 inchs. I
would like to improve the quality as my clematis and honey suckle didn't
flower this year and think that that could be because the soil is poor.