Old 15-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Gilly

Default Can't Have it All

I want colour and interest from year-round shrubs but I want lots of
perennial flowers. I want it all ..... but I can't fit it all in!

In my smallish garden the border is 30 feet long, but it's only 1 metre
wide. Each shrub takes up about 3 or 4 feet width so I have room for about
10 shrubs, but no flowers in front of the shrubs.

I've tried a mixed border -- my hydrangea has lovely flowers in late summer
but it's dull otherwise; rhododendron is lovely in spring but a green blob
the rest of the year. Ditto for my spirea, weigela, hebe and viburnum -
glorious when in bloom but dull and boring otherwise.

I like to faff about with plants, so I'm thinking I should chuck all these
shrubs and concentrate on perennials and various bulbs, but I'm worried
there'll be no structure in the winter.

If you had to choose what would it be -- a few medium size shrubs or lots of
perennial flowers?

Old 15-10-2005, 09:34 PM
pammyT

I would get rid of a boring green lawn and have the lot. Masses of
shrubs, perrenials, grasses etc and only a winding shingle path down
the garden with a bit at the beginning sit and look and admire your
stunning display.
I personally dislike lawns. Can't see the point of them.boring expanse
of hard to maintain green.

Old 15-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Sacha

On 15/10/05 18:33, in article ,
"Gilly" wrote:

[...]

How about perennials, bulbs etc in pots and tubs, moving them as the fancy
takes you or the seasons dictate? And how about growing some climbers
through your shrubs - clematis and Tropaeolum, for example, choosing types
that flower at different times of year?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Kay

In article , Gilly
writes
I want colour and interest from year-round shrubs but I want lots of
perennial flowers. I want it all ..... but I can't fit it all in!

In my smallish garden the border is 30 feet long, but it's only 1 metre
wide. Each shrub takes up about 3 or 4 feet width so I have room for about
10 shrubs, but no flowers in front of the shrubs.

I've tried a mixed border -- my hydrangea has lovely flowers in late summer
but it's dull otherwise; rhododendron is lovely in spring but a green blob
the rest of the year. Ditto for my spirea, weigela, hebe and viburnum -
glorious when in bloom but dull and boring otherwise.

I like to faff about with plants, so I'm thinking I should chuck all these
shrubs and concentrate on perennials and various bulbs, but I'm worried
there'll be no structure in the winter.

I would go for all year round effect based on foliage and bark.
Something with big strongly sculptured leaves, some spiky leaves and
fine leaves to offset it, something with good coloured stems in winter,
something with long lasting berries and so on. Get your height from
climbers then you won't have to go for massive shrubs like hydrangea and
rhododendron.

When you choose your plants, make sure everything has two seasons -
flowers *and* berries, flowers *and* autumn leaf colour, berries *and*
pretty spring growth.
--
Kay

Old 16-10-2005, 10:19 AM

[...]