GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing bird seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108126-storing-bird-seed.html)

Paul D.Smith 17-10-2005 04:21 PM

Storing bird seed

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary Birds"
and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available "by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Paul 17-10-2005 04:32 PM

Storing bird seed

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary Birds"
and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available "by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

A metal dustbin with a bungy clip over the top should slow them down. or
a plastic version from CJ Birdfood
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...d=10&nav_id=44

Paul

ned 17-10-2005 08:37 PM

Storing bird seed

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for

bird
seed? We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a
time x seed, sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is

taking
up valuable real estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a
shed, suitably protected, we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary
Birds" and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available

"by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

For the last three years I've been using a plastic swing top kitchen
rubbish bin that just takes a 25Kg bag. That sits on the floor of the
garage - which is visited on the odd occasion by mice and squirrel. To
date, no thievery has taken place.
For sure a metal bin would give you more peace of mind.
Can you afford the price differential? :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.09.2005

pammyT 17-10-2005 09:26 PM

Storing bird seed

cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Mike Lyle 17-10-2005 10:18 PM

Storing bird seed

martin wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:21:23 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for
bird seed? We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about

15kg
at a time x seed, sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it

is
taking up valuable real estate in the kitchen. If we can move it
into a shed, suitably protected, we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and

Aviary
Birds" and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available
"by subscription" these days!

Use a metal dustbin with a lid.

Or, if you happen to be lucky enough to get them, old milk churns
used to do me proud for stock grains. But a galvanised dustbin is
probably easier to find these days.

--
Mike.

Janet Baraclough 18-10-2005 12:29 AM

Storing bird seed

The message t
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these words:

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

The seed will keep better in a dry cool shed, away from the warm
humidity of a kitchen.

If your area rubbish colection has gone over to plastic wheelie bins,
there should be some oldfashioned metal or HD plastic dustbins
languishing unused in neighbours' gardens. Ask around, or try a note in
the local newsagent's window.

Always cover your shed stash with a solid top, held down with a
brick. Rats can climb or jump several vertical feet.

Janet

JennyC 18-10-2005 05:16 AM

Storing bird seed

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Conjured up a wonderful vision of newsagents all over the country full of
budgies whizzing round the shop on Thursday mornings :~))
Jenny

Paul D.Smith 18-10-2005 09:04 AM

Storing bird seed

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Lucky you. I live in N. London and I suspect birdkeeping is not a popular
passtime thus no C&A except by special order. Any chance you could have a
quick look for seed storage companies and drop me an e-mail? Various people
have suggested metal dustbins but we're all "wheelie" bins around here and
although B&Q sell dustbins, they're cheap tat - not at all ilke the good
solid ones I remember from my youth (oh no, I'm a grumpy old man already!).
I wouldn't trust them to withstand our very capable mice.

Thanks,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-10-2005 10:42 AM

Storing bird seed

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Always cover your shed stash with a solid top, held down with a
brick. Rats can climb or jump several vertical feet.

Horizontal ones TAAAW, and even a function of both.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

pammyT 18-10-2005 01:34 PM

Storing bird seed

not really as I never said "cage and aviary birds *are* available"

pammyT 18-10-2005 01:37 PM

Storing bird seed

Bird keeping is as popular in north London as anywhere I can assure you
as is poultry keeping surprisingly.
The black bins you can get at B&Q are what most of us use. Of course
if you *want* to spend a lot of money I will have a look for some,
enjoy a chuckle at the daft prices they expect people to pay, then send
you the details :0)

Paul D.Smith 18-10-2005 05:08 PM

Storing bird seed

"pammyT" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bird keeping is as popular in north London as anywhere I can assure you
as is poultry keeping surprisingly.
The black bins you can get at B&Q are what most of us use. Of course
if you *want* to spend a lot of money I will have a look for some,
enjoy a chuckle at the daft prices they expect people to pay, then send
you the details :0)

Black? Do you mean plastic? Don't the mice get in? When I used to keep
finches, mice went through plastic very quickly, but they were Midlands mice
and times were 'ard ;-).

Paul DS.