Old 17-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Storing bird seed

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary Birds"
and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available "by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 17-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Paul

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary Birds"
and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available "by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

A metal dustbin with a bungy clip over the top should slow them down. or
a plastic version from CJ Birdfood
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...d=10&nav_id=44

Paul
Old 17-10-2005, 08:37 PM
ned

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for

bird
seed? We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a
time x seed, sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is

taking
up valuable real estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a
shed, suitably protected, we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and Aviary
Birds" and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available

"by
subscription" these days!

Cheers,
Paul DS.

For the last three years I've been using a plastic swing top kitchen
rubbish bin that just takes a 25Kg bag. That sits on the floor of the
garage - which is visited on the odd occasion by mice and squirrel. To
date, no thievery has taken place.
For sure a metal bin would give you more peace of mind.
Can you afford the price differential? :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.09.2005

Old 17-10-2005, 09:26 PM
pammyT

cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Old 17-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Mike Lyle

martin wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:21:23 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for
bird seed? We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about

15kg
at a time x seed, sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it

is
taking up valuable real estate in the kitchen. If we can move it
into a shed, suitably protected, we can get back some space.

Once upon a time I'd have grabbed my trusty copy of "Cage and

Aviary
Birds" and ordered from someone in their but C&A is only available
"by subscription" these days!

Use a metal dustbin with a lid.

Or, if you happen to be lucky enough to get them, old milk churns
used to do me proud for stock grains. But a galvanised dustbin is
probably easier to find these days.

--
Mike.

Old 18-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message t
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these words:

Anyone have any suppliers of squirrel and mice proof storage for bird seed?
We feed our feathered friends and buy in bulk (about 15kg at a time x seed,
sunflowers and millet sprays) and currently it is taking up valuable real
estate in the kitchen. If we can move it into a shed, suitably protected,
we can get back some space.

The seed will keep better in a dry cool shed, away from the warm
humidity of a kitchen.

If your area rubbish colection has gone over to plastic wheelie bins,
there should be some oldfashioned metal or HD plastic dustbins
languishing unused in neighbours' gardens. Ask around, or try a note in
the local newsagent's window.

Always cover your shed stash with a solid top, held down with a
brick. Rats can climb or jump several vertical feet.

Janet
Old 18-10-2005, 05:16 AM
JennyC

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Conjured up a wonderful vision of newsagents all over the country full of
budgies whizzing round the shop on Thursday mornings :~))
Jenny

Old 18-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Paul D.Smith

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...
cage and aviary birds is freely available every thursday from most
newsagents I can assure you as I get one whenever I am in town.
Buy yourself a black plastic dustbin to store seed in.

Lucky you. I live in N. London and I suspect birdkeeping is not a popular
passtime thus no C&A except by special order. Any chance you could have a
quick look for seed storage companies and drop me an e-mail? Various people
have suggested metal dustbins but we're all "wheelie" bins around here and
although B&Q sell dustbins, they're cheap tat - not at all ilke the good
solid ones I remember from my youth (oh no, I'm a grumpy old man already!).
I wouldn't trust them to withstand our very capable mice.

Thanks,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 18-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Always cover your shed stash with a solid top, held down with a
brick. Rats can climb or jump several vertical feet.

Horizontal ones TAAAW, and even a function of both.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-10-2005, 01:34 PM
pammyT

not really as I never said "cage and aviary birds *are* available"

Old 18-10-2005, 01:37 PM
pammyT

Bird keeping is as popular in north London as anywhere I can assure you
as is poultry keeping surprisingly.
The black bins you can get at B&Q are what most of us use. Of course
if you *want* to spend a lot of money I will have a look for some,
enjoy a chuckle at the daft prices they expect people to pay, then send
you the details :0)

Old 18-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Paul D.Smith

"pammyT" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bird keeping is as popular in north London as anywhere I can assure you
as is poultry keeping surprisingly.
The black bins you can get at B&Q are what most of us use. Of course
if you *want* to spend a lot of money I will have a look for some,
enjoy a chuckle at the daft prices they expect people to pay, then send
you the details :0)

Black? Do you mean plastic? Don't the mice get in? When I used to keep
finches, mice went through plastic very quickly, but they were Midlands mice
and times were 'ard ;-).

Paul DS.