Old 18-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Sacha

Default Zamioculcas

Is anyone growing this outdoors in UK?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 18-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Its an Aroid from Tropical East Africa and is not at all cold hardy.

.uk...

Old 18-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Is anyone growing this outdoors in UK?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have seen it out on a patio during the summer but went missing in
Sept. Presumably to the conservatory.
It shouldn't tolerate less than 10C but is noted as one of relatively
few that
can stand very high [neglected] temps.
OTOH water it with limoncello and it would never feel the cold!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 19-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Cereus-validus.......

There's nothing like having first hand knowledge, eh Brian?

http://members.chello.at/norbert.and...as/index_e.htm

I grow three different forms of the species outdoors in a shaded location
during the summer but move them indoors before it gets too chilly.

The species is native to Tropical East Africa and cannot tolerate freezing
at all.

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

.uk...

Old 19-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Sacha

On 18/10/05 23:54, in article ,
"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Is anyone growing this outdoors in UK?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have seen it out on a patio during the summer but went missing in
Sept. Presumably to the conservatory.
It shouldn't tolerate less than 10C but is noted as one of relatively
few that
can stand very high [neglected] temps.
OTOH water it with limoncello and it would never feel the cold!!

It wouldn't feel much else, either! I asked about the temps because we saw
it in Florence where we were told it was hardy. I wondered if anyone had
experimented in the warmer areas of this country. Thanks you everyone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Sacha

On 19/10/05 18:44, in article ,
"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 19/10/05 9:53, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this outdoors in UK?

Well I've had it out of doors for a year or so, but not with any great
success. It needs a bit more heat in summer and really hates winter
wet, which caused the leaflets to yellow and fall off. Too much rain
in spring causes the emerging new leaflets to blacken at the edges and
distort. It's a member of the arum family native to tropical east
Africa and seems to appreciate periods of dryness when dormant.

It's a possibility if grown in the rain shadow of a south facing wall,
but only in frost free spots. Personally I don't think it's worth
bothering with as a garden plant since it grows better and stronger
under glass. If kept dry, it can tolerate short lived exposures down
to minus 1C., but is best kept at 5C and above.

And thank you again! I'm quite tempted to try it in the small double,

more
as a bit of a curiosity than anything else. Interestingly, the chap in
Florence was adamant that it didn't flower which is presumably Italian for
"I've never seen it flower"! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Google ~~ 'Zamioculcas' and then 'image'.
A good picture. Could be any Arum.

Thanks, Brian. I've done that and I agree that it's not very exciting in
flower. The plant itself is rather attractive, I think but is probably not
going to set our world on fire! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk