GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Artichokes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108334-artichokes.html)

Alan Holmes 22-10-2005 10:22 PM

Artichokes

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

Alan

Mike Lyle 22-10-2005 10:29 PM

Artichokes

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

The best way is to give the whole thing to a pig.

--
Mike.

Ophelia 22-10-2005 10:52 PM

Artichokes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible:))

Jaques d'Alltrades 22-10-2005 11:58 PM

Artichokes

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

I don't. I just scrub them.

If you steam them you can just scoop out the flesh with a spoon, either
on the plate or before serving.

If I'm making soup, i cook them first, then liquidise them with the
stock. Stands up by itself, so it does.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 12:02 AM

Artichokes

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

The best way is to give the whole thing to a pig.

Oink-oink -

I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't especially
early putting them in.

Kay 23-10-2005 10:01 AM

Artichokes

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

Wash them, cook them, serve them as is. Once cooked, it's trivial to
remove the skin - squash from one end and the inside pops out.
--
Kay

Mike Lyle 23-10-2005 10:35 AM

Artichokes

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
o like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this
part of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten
feet high, with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't
especially early putting them in.

Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

--
Mike.

Nick Maclaren 23-10-2005 10:54 AM

Artichokes

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

I don't. I just scrub them.

If you steam them you can just scoop out the flesh with a spoon, either
on the plate or before serving.

I quite agree. They taste better and discolour less cooked in their
skins, too.

If I'm making soup, i cook them first, then liquidise them with the
stock. Stands up by itself, so it does.

And, after a good meal of that, you levitate by yourself, you do ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

WaltA 23-10-2005 12:56 PM

Artichokes

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.
Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

Same as mine.

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I grow all three.

* ovoid ? (What is the name for the solid of revolution of an ellipse
?)

WaltA 23-10-2005 01:30 PM

Artichokes

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:35:01 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence :)

Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?

They do lend themselves well to jokes.

Alan Holmes 23-10-2005 01:33 PM

Artichokes

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.
Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

Same as mine.

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Alan

WaltA 23-10-2005 01:41 PM

Artichokes

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:33:26 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

They do sound like the 'traditional' old ja variety. Can produce
amusingly shaped roots !

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Take heed of SWMBO, obey her, for she is right :-)
I usually grow 3 varieties, but if I add a fourth stage I think I
could probably achieve low earth orbit :-!))

Here is a link (beware, it may wrap, havnt had time to make a tiny
url) to a smother user-friendly tuber :
http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/jeru...eau-11067.aspx

Harold Walker 23-10-2005 01:51 PM

Artichokes

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes.

So do I cos they make a lovely home made wine...H

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 02:04 PM

Artichokes

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
o like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this
part of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten
feet high, with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't
especially early putting them in.

Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

No. You need bigger blocks of them than I plant.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 02:05 PM

Artichokes

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

I don't. I just scrub them.

If you steam them you can just scoop out the flesh with a spoon, either
on the plate or before serving.

I quite agree. They taste better and discolour less cooked in their
skins, too.

If I'm making soup, i cook them first, then liquidise them with the
stock. Stands up by itself, so it does.

And, after a good meal of that, you levitate by yourself, you do ....

A lesson the Natural Law Party might apply to their Yogic Flying.

Mike Lyle 23-10-2005 02:23 PM

Artichokes

WaltA wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:35:01 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

That's very sad: we lost contact a few years ago, and I had wondered
every now and then...

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence :)

Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?

They do lend themselves well to jokes.

The thing was, as I remember it anyhow, that at one stage he lived in
a cottage provided by the owner of the shoot...not quite nice to help
oneself to the strays! He then established it as a principle of life
to grow JAs and let them flower.

--
Mike.

WaltA 23-10-2005 02:44 PM

Artichokes

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

That's very sad: we lost contact a few years ago, and I had wondered
every now and then...

Nice obit./tribute here :
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/the_wes...S_PEOPLE6.html

if that wraps and you cant get it joined back up then go to
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/
on the left menu go to "People" then scroll down to the last item and
click on "Remembering John Seymour"

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence :)
Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?
They do lend themselves well to jokes.

The thing was, as I remember it anyhow, that at one stage he lived in
a cottage provided by the owner of the shoot...not quite nice to help
oneself to the strays!

Oh I dunno ! I do :) but then, I own my place ;)

He then established it as a principle of life
to grow JAs and let them flower.

Thanks.

Jiri Borsky 23-10-2005 04:02 PM

Artichokes

WaltA wrote:

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I grow all three.

* ovoid ? (What is the name for the solid of revolution of an ellipse
?)

Ellipsoid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid

Jiri Borsky

Gregoire Kretz 23-10-2005 08:26 PM

Artichokes

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible:))

Right. :)

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

--
Been there, done that, ate the terrine, got the cookbook

No spam: ficus = no(n)

Ophelia 23-10-2005 09:32 PM

Artichokes

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible:))

Right. :)

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

This one sounds nice:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...p,1082,RC.html

CK 23-10-2005 09:46 PM

Artichokes

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible:))

Right. :)

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

Hi all,
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned my favourite way of cooking
Jerusalem Artichokes, which is roasting them.

Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins. Roast for approx 40mins (slightly
depending on size).
They go a lovely golden colour and taste fabulous, and also have the most
wonderful texture, kind of silky!

ALSO ~ try them this way.......
Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins. Boil 'til tender but not
disintegrated.
Drain well and cool. Chop into even size largish pieces. Coat with a thick
vinaigrette made with extra Dijon mustard. Chill for about 1 hourish,.
Serve cold as a starter with chopped chives or parsley on top.

Cheers,
Chris in Somerset

Ophelia 23-10-2005 09:55 PM

Artichokes

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Yep all totally delicious:)) I never mentioned them cos I thought he
wanted soup:))))

Alan Holmes 23-10-2005 10:36 PM

Artichokes

"CK" . wanadoo.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible:))

Right. :)

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Greg

Hi all,
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned my favourite way of cooking
Jerusalem Artichokes, which is roasting them.

Clean and parboil. Slip off the skins.

This is the bit I don't understand, when I cooked them with the skins on,
the 'skin', when I tried to remove it, was nearly a qusrter of an inch
thick, nothing like boiling potatoes in their skins when they do slip off
very easily.

Alan

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 11:02 PM

Artichokes

The message
from (Gregoire Kretz) contains these words:

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Two ways I use:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 11:05 PM

Artichokes

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

This is the bit I don't understand, when I cooked them with the skins on,
the 'skin', when I tried to remove it, was nearly a qusrter of an inch
thick, nothing like boiling potatoes in their skins when they do slip off
very easily.

I'd have put the thickness more like a sixteenth of an inch...

Mind you, you can always eat the insides as a vegetable and liquidise
the skins (and the layer underneath) for soup.

WaltA 24-10-2005 02:26 AM

Artichokes

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:51:02 -0400, "Harold Walker" wrote:
.. On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes.

So do I cos they make a lovely home made wine...H

Really * ? You're not pulling our legs** !?
I've not tried that, but parsnip is (surprisingly) quite good.

* I've not heard any 'reports' about that (quiet in the back row
RustyJaques)

** I knew a winemaker a long time ago who made BrusselSproutWine
special reserve ! = 'special for visitors wot he didnt specially
want to see agin :-)) (no, I know what you are thinking, but we
parted because the company we worked for broke up and we went our
various ways round the world ! )

Ophelia 24-10-2005 08:22 AM

Artichokes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from (Gregoire Kretz) contains these words:

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted
water
then liquidize?

Two ways I use:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be
added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

Hiya Rusty:)) *waves*

Ophelia

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 10:07 AM

Artichokes

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Really * ? You're not pulling our legs** !?
I've not tried that, but parsnip is (surprisingly) quite good.

Château Pet?

And parsnip wine is really excellent if made from parsnips from the
garden, preferably an old variety with flavour - not the insipid things
one buys from the greengrocer these days.

I was making that when I was ten. (And dandelion wine.)

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 10:15 AM

Artichokes

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Hiya Rusty:)) *waves*

HiyOpheeeeeeelya!

Woewwwww - Opheeeeeeeel-ia, I'm down on my knees,
I'm begging you please to come home...

Oops! Wrong song!

Waves back. (No, not for *THAT* reason!)

Alan Holmes 24-10-2005 02:40 PM

Artichokes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from (Gregoire Kretz) contains these words:

You're then supposed to make soup - but how? Just boil in salted water
then liquidize?

Two ways I use:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

How do you make the 'stock'?

Alan

WaltA 24-10-2005 03:55 PM

Artichokes

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:40:00 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:

How do you make the 'stock'?

Dont use a cube :-)
Bring some bones to the boil then simmer for anything up to a couple
of hours, or thereabouts.
Chicken carcass works well with j.a. ( or even a whole chicken !)

The more marrow and/or meat that the bones have then the thicker will
be the stock or broth.
Traditionally beef marrow bones or pigs trotters or hocks were used
for stock but you dont often see them in the supermarket !

If you are vegetarian I believe that a thin stock can be made from
well, veggies :)

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 04:06 PM

Artichokes

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

How do you make the 'stock'?

How do you usually make stock?

It depends what's to hand: usually it's something like the skin, gristle
and bones of bacon hocks, simmered for a long time in the juices the
hocks were cooked in; chicken carcase(s) rendered down; bones from (say)
saddle of lamb, or bones cadged from the butcher; the tougher layers of
onions, root vegetable peelings, potato peelings; outside sticks of
celery, outside leaves of cabbage, sprouts, etc, - the list is (almost)
endless.

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 04:53 PM

Artichokes

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

If you are vegetarian I believe that a thin stock can be made from
well, veggies :)

And various fungi - and before you say 'Aren't they veggies, then?' - no
- they belong to a completely different class, and far above seeking a
phylum.

I'll get my coat.

Alan Holmes 24-10-2005 06:28 PM

Artichokes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

1) Scrub and cook artichokes in enough water to cover them. Warm stock
up and liquidise together, along with some pepper and herbs. Simmer
together for a while. The water the artichokes as cooked in may be
added
- despite its rather unattractive colour.

2) Scrub and slice artichokes, then liquidise along with the stock,
season, then cook together.

How do you make the 'stock'?

How do you usually make stock?

I have no idea, which is why I asked the question!

It depends what's to hand: usually it's something like the skin, gristle
and bones of bacon hocks, simmered for a long time in the juices the
hocks were cooked in; chicken carcase(s) rendered down; bones from (say)
saddle of lamb, or bones cadged from the butcher; the tougher layers of
onions, root vegetable peelings, potato peelings; outside sticks of
celery, outside leaves of cabbage, sprouts, etc, - the list is (almost)
endless.

Thank you.

Although there has been some doubts about using beef bones from the time
when the cattle disease was rife, it had been suggested that the disease
could be passed to humans.

When I was small the best bit of sunday lunch was being able to eat the
marrow from the bones.

Alan

WaltA 24-10-2005 06:32 PM

Artichokes

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:53:31 +0100, we wrote:
If you are vegetarian I believe that a thin stock can be made from
well, veggies :)

And various fungi -

You may well be right, I like fungi, but not in my stocks and broths,
sorry.

and before you say 'Aren't they veggies, then?' - no

quite so

- they belong to a completely different class, and far above seeking a
phylum.

If I wasn't a republican I might start discussing Kingdoms

I'll get my coat.

Dons hat,,,
before being tempted to talk about Protista
(probably get arrested under the terrorism act if T.B. and pals were
conferring nearby)