Old 22-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Artichokes

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

Alan

Old 22-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

The best way is to give the whole thing to a pig.

--
Mike.

Old 22-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Ophelia

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton
who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

With a great deal of care and as thinly as possible)

Old 22-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

I don't. I just scrub them.

If you steam them you can just scoop out the flesh with a spoon, either
on the plate or before serving.

If I'm making soup, i cook them first, then liquidise them with the
stock. Stands up by itself, so it does.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

The best way is to give the whole thing to a pig.

Oink-oink -

I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't especially
early putting them in.

Old 23-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Kay

Alan Holmes wrote:
Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs
Beeton who says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

Wash them, cook them, serve them as is. Once cooked, it's trivial to
remove the skin - squash from one end and the inside pops out.
--
Kay

Old 23-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
o like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this
part of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten
feet high, with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't
especially early putting them in.

Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

--
Mike.

Old 23-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Found a lot of Jerusalem artichokes this year and turned to Mrs Beeton who
says, 'Wash the artichokes and peel them'!

How the hell do you peel such an irregular shaped root?

I don't. I just scrub them.

If you steam them you can just scoop out the flesh with a spoon, either
on the plate or before serving.

I quite agree. They taste better and discolour less cooked in their
skins, too.

If I'm making soup, i cook them first, then liquidise them with the
stock. Stands up by itself, so it does.

And, after a good meal of that, you levitate by yourself, you do ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-10-2005, 12:56 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.
Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

Same as mine.

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I grow all three.

* ovoid ? (What is the name for the solid of revolution of an ellipse
?)

Old 23-10-2005, 01:30 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:35:01 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:
Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

Sadly, that should be "said" :-(

Stray pheasants wander into my garden where I grow ja,
but I am sure it is coincidence

Am I missing a joke ? Where and why did he say that ?

They do lend themselves well to jokes.

Old 23-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Alan Holmes

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this part
of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten feet high,
with silly little flowers on top.
Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

Same as mine.

Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Alan

Old 23-10-2005, 01:41 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:33:26 GMT, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
Alan : if you get to like them then for future ref. there are some
much more errrm 'regular' varieties which you could grow.
Fuseau, for example, is long elliptical (? *) and reasonably smooth.
There is another, that I dont know the name of, which turns up in our
local veg shop from time to time which is reasonably spherical.

I have no idea what these are, they have been grown from a single root I
bought in a greengrocer some years ago.

They do sound like the 'traditional' old ja variety. Can produce
amusingly shaped roots !

But I do like the taste, although SWMBO has said that I should be careful
how much I eat because of the effects on the lower quarters!

Take heed of SWMBO, obey her, for she is right :-)
I usually grow 3 varieties, but if I add a fourth stage I think I
could probably achieve low earth orbit :-!))

Here is a link (beware, it may wrap, havnt had time to make a tiny
url) to a smother user-friendly tuber :
http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/jeru...eau-11067.aspx

Old 23-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Harold Walker

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:02:27 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I do like Jerusalem artichokes.

So do I cos they make a lovely home made wine...H

Old 23-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
o like Jerusalem artichokes. We have regular earthquakes in this
part of Norfolk at this time of year. (Some of mine are a good ten
feet high, with silly little flowers on top.

Or maybe it's just that they're so far away?

This is the first year I've had flowers on them, and i wasn't
especially early putting them in.

Have they attracted other people's pheasants, as John Seymour says
they do?

No. You need bigger blocks of them than I plant.

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM