GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Decking Boards (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108413-decking-boards.html)

Rob Gibson 24-10-2005 08:41 PM

Decking Boards

Hi All,

I had the idea of using decking boards to make up some raised beds, but am
now having some doubts. I've read that as they are "tanalised" I might end
up poisoning myself due to the CCA treatment leaching into the soil.

Comments?

Regards,

Rob.

Mike Lyle 24-10-2005 08:53 PM

Decking Boards

Rob Gibson wrote:
Hi All,

I had the idea of using decking boards to make up some raised beds,
but am now having some doubts. I've read that as they are

"tanalised"
I might end up poisoning myself due to the CCA treatment leaching
into the soil.

Comments?

I'd be surprised if anything untoward happened. I can't really
imagine large quantities of the stuff getting into the soil, and I'd
have thought still less of that would be taken up by the plants.
Subject as always to correction by the better-informed, I reckon if
it's all that water-soluble once dry, then it wouldn't be much use as
an outdoor wood preservative. You could always use the Rusty
technique of putting a polythene membrane on the insides, though:
then there'd be no need to consider the risk.

--
Mike.

Jollygreenp 25-10-2005 03:11 PM

Decking Boards

Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
can leach out?

;-))

Nick Maclaren 25-10-2005 03:15 PM

Decking Boards

In article . com,
"Jollygreenp" writes:

| Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
| can leach out?

I believe that they are fairly harmless, as it is widely used in
products intended for use with food. The residual monomers and
short-chain polymers are definitely so, as they are merely
hydrocarbons (polythese - poly-ethane). Bacteria eat them for
breakfast.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-10-2005 05:01 PM

Decking Boards

The message . com
from "Jollygreenp" contains these words:

Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
can leach out?

;-))

Grobags?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-10-2005 05:02 PM

Decking Boards

The message

In article . com,
"Jollygreenp" writes:

| Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
| can leach out?

I believe that they are fairly harmless, as it is widely used in
products intended for use with food. The residual monomers and
short-chain polymers are definitely so, as they are merely
hydrocarbons (polythese - poly-ethane). Bacteria eat them for
breakfast.

Unless there are lots of them - in which case some are left for lunch.

Shahpolymers 15-10-2011 12:50 PM

Polyacetal(POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane (PU), Suppliers, K Resin (NSBC), Engineering Plastics, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile,Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), (ABS) Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, Nylon(PA 6, 66), Acrylic(PMMA), PVDF polyvinylidene fluoride, Suppliers, Manufacturer, Supplier, Shah Polymers in Bangalore, India.Polyacetal (POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane PU, K Resin (NSBC), Engineering Plastics, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Nylon (PA 6, 66), Acrylic (PMMA), polyvinylidene fluoride suppliers, Shah Polymers, Manufacturers, Bangalore, India.