GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108439-kiwis-plant-out-greenhouse-ir-indoors.html)

Paul D.Smith 25-10-2005 11:10 AM

Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors?

I have grown some Kiwis from seed and they're currently not very big so I've
very reticent about putting them outside. So do I chance it, or keep them
in the unheated greenhouse or take them indoors for the winter?

Thanks for suggestions,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Nick Maclaren 25-10-2005 11:25 AM

Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors?

In article ,
"Paul D.Smith" writes:
| I have grown some Kiwis from seed and they're currently not very big so I've
| very reticent about putting them outside. So do I chance it, or keep them
| in the unheated greenhouse or take them indoors for the winter?

I would go for the unheated greenhouse. They won't like a warm,
dark winter (i.e. indoors), and you will want to sex them before
planting permanently if you want a crop.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-10-2005 01:22 PM

Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors?

The message

I would go for the unheated greenhouse. They won't like a warm,
dark winter (i.e. indoors), and you will want to sex them before
planting permanently if you want a crop.

How *DO* you sex them before they flower?

And, on GQT last week, Bob Flowerdew was talking about them, and I
gathered (with half an ear) from what he said that there is at least one
variety with both male and female flowers.

I'd thought of grafting a male onto a female to save space...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Nick Maclaren 25-10-2005 02:23 PM

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
|
| I would go for the unheated greenhouse. They won't like a warm,
| dark winter (i.e. indoors), and you will want to sex them before
| planting permanently if you want a crop.
|
| How *DO* you sex them before they flower?

With difficulty? I don't know if you can get them to flower when
still in pots.

| And, on GQT last week, Bob Flowerdew was talking about them, and I
| gathered (with half an ear) from what he said that there is at least one
| variety with both male and female flowers.
|
| I'd thought of grafting a male onto a female to save space...

Yes. An old trick. Still worth considering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Clare 26-10-2005 11:12 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
And, on GQT last week, Bob Flowerdew was talking about them, and I
gathered (with half an ear) from what he said that there is at least one
variety with both male and female flowers.

Yes, the variety 'Jenny' is self fertile.

Clare.

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-10-2005 11:56 PM

Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors?

The message . com
from "Clare" contains these words:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
And, on GQT last week, Bob Flowerdew was talking about them, and I
gathered (with half an ear) from what he said that there is at least one
variety with both male and female flowers.

Yes, the variety 'Jenny' is self fertile.

Thanks. I might just try one of those, then. ('Specially as the name of
my first girlfiend was Jenny.)