Old 28-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Phil L

Default seed collecting

Today i have collected seeds from the tagetes (french marigolds?)...these
grew from seeds I collected last year from shop bought plants and although
they weren't the same colours (bronze, dark orange, yellow etc) they were
very strong plants and produced large orange blooms and lots of them, some
of them still have flowers on them and buds too.
Earlier this year I purchased a tray of mixed lobelia (pale blue, dark blue,
lilac and purple) I assumed it wouldn't be worth bothering collecting seeds
from these as I've heard they all just revert back to the parent plant, IE -
blue? - this is definately not the case because one of them set seed in
August and the seedling that grew was purple...does anyone know if it's
possible to collect seeds from verbena? - and if so, will they have the same
colours as the parent?

TIA

--
What the hell am I doing here? - I don't belong here...

Old 29-10-2005, 12:18 AM
shazzbat

"Phil L" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

It's possible to collect the seeds of any plant which produces seeds,
although it may be difficult in the case of seeds as fine as dust, and some
plants set seed so easily they will have scattered it all over your garden
whether you want them or not.

Some plants will revert to the basic colour scheme, this is mostly F1
hybrids, but logic suggests that there will be a tendency to revert to type
anyway, to the form that was the most successful before man came along to
alter things.

Steve

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 11:27 AM
Wild poppy seed collecting? Paul United Kingdom 3 13-06-2006 09:51 PM
Seed collecting Andrew Ostrander Gardening 2 28-07-2004 09:03 AM
Seed collecting Buzzy Gardening 2 23-07-2004 06:02 AM
Books on seed collecting and storage peter Gardening 2 01-08-2003 03:02 PM