Old 29-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Club Root overcome

For those of you that grow veg but don't take the Kitchen Garden...

They report that a Club Root resistant F1 Cabbage has been developed in
Holland and the seeds will be available through Suttons and Dobies. It's
called "Kilaxy". Whilst they do not claim it is totally immune to clubroot,
they did note some signs of swollen nodules on some plant roots, but they
still produced good headed cabbages.

Details from the Suttons web site...

Cabbage F1 Kilaxy

A top quality late summer/autumn cabbage of the round headed Dutch White
type, with solid compact heads of around 2kg in weight, which both stand and
store well. Excellent thin leaved, dense internal structure. (It is so
resistant that it will produce a fine crop on infected ground where ordinary
varieties fail. This strong resistance has been well proven on both our own
trials site and others across Europe.)

Perfect timing as far as I'm concerned. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-10-2005, 02:29 PM
shazzbat

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Educate me if you will. I haven't seen clubroot, how does it manifest itself
above ground?

Steve

Old 29-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Bob Hobden

"shazzbat" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

The roots are unable to grow properly and therefore can't provide the plant
with the water or nutrients it needs for growth resulting in plants that
show (usually severe) signs of lack of these. You get very stunted plants
that look very sickly and don't grow well at all, a look at the roots will
confirm the diagnosis.

More details at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0202/clubroot.asp

Strangely some say it can lay dormant in the ground for 5 years and others
as much as 20 years.

Old 29-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Robert

: More details at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0202/clubroot.asp
:
: Strangely some say it can lay dormant in the ground for 5 years and others
: as much as 20 years.
:
: --
: Regards
: Bob
: In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London
:
I don't think it lays dormant, it just doesn't manifest itself unless it has
brassicas to infect ...... or is that the sam e thing lol

Old 29-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Rod Craddock

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
For those of you that grow veg but don't take the Kitchen Garden...

They report that a Club Root resistant F1 Cabbage has been developed
in Holland and the seeds will be available through Suttons and
Dobies. Perfect timing as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Is club root present on your new site Bob?
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 29-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rod Craddock" asked after
"Bob Hobden" wrote...
For those of you that grow veg but don't take the Kitchen Garden...

They report that a Club Root resistant F1 Cabbage has been developed in
Holland and the seeds will be available through Suttons and Dobies.
Perfect timing as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Is club root present on your new site Bob?

I'm told that it's present on the site but on the other side, as our new
allotment hasn't been worked for at least 10 years I don't know about our
specific plot. I've noticed that the one next to ours, taken by new
gardeners from Christmas last year, has a good bed of Sprouts that look very
healthy so I can but hope we are free of it too.

Old 29-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote
: More details at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0202/clubroot.asp
:
: Strangely some say it can lay dormant in the ground for 5 years and
others
: as much as 20 years.
:
:
I don't think it lays dormant, it just doesn't manifest itself unless it
has
brassicas to infect ...... or is that the sam e thing lol

It would only manifest itself if you grow brassicas, true, but it does lay
dormant in the soil awaiting a chance to infect the roots of a brassica and
so manifest itself.
Does that make sense?

Old 30-10-2005, 02:52 PM
david taylor

I have an old book-Ernst Gaumann "Principles of Plant Infection" Crosby
Lockwood and Son London 1950.
It gives a good account of clubroot infection. Infection drops off rapidly
as the soil pH is increased in the case of a particular brassica falling
from 100 to 20% as pH is increased from 5.7 to 6.2, to virtually 0 at pH 7.
He also reported that clubroot was sustained in the soil by wild
brasiccas-charlock, lady smock,shepherds purse, garlick mustard etc.and can
be eridicated in 2 seasons if these weeds are removed.
I had a lot of trouble with club root when I lived in Cheshire and managed
to control it using this information.
Some brasiccas-Pak Choi, Cauliflower seemed to be sensitive, sprouting
brocolli spring cabbage wallflower were more resistant.
Apart from keeping the soil pH up and getting rid of shepherd's purse, I
used to surround the root balls of the plants with powdered chalk (my
neighbour was a salesman!) when planting out.
This with a pKa of about 8 would ensure an alkaline but non corrosive start
to growth.
Regards
David T
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rod Craddock" asked after
"Bob Hobden" wrote...

Old 30-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Bob Hobden

"david taylor" wrote
[...]

Thank you David, interesting information, the pH of our new allotment is
about 5.5 and I realise that is potentially part of the problem. The
gardener with the worse clubroot problem told me he gets his soil to pH 7.5
on his brassica bed but rumour has it he also gets something from a farmer
friend to control it (?), his plot is 40 Sq Rods!!
Fist thing after liming is to plant some brassicas and see how they do and
with the plot not being used for over 10 years we might be concerned about
nothing.

Club Root Control Dave.P Gardening 1 15-03-2008 05:05 PM
Club Root - controlled Bertie Doe United Kingdom 5 26-06-2007 08:41 AM
Club root Jim S United Kingdom 2 29-12-2006 10:56 PM
Cabbage Club root Brian Anderson Gardening 1 07-08-2006 12:40 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM