GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vines, time to cut back? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108589-vines-time-cut-back.html)

John 29-10-2005 05:21 PM

Vines, time to cut back?

Being new to growing grapes in the greenhouse and having had a lot on the
vines this year can I ask a couple of questions please--

1.the grapes (black) were very sweet and tasty, but had a tough skin and
quite watery inside- what can I do to change this next season?

2. is this the time yet to start pruning back and also taking cuttings for
next year?

Many thanks for any help

Jo

David Rance 29-10-2005 05:46 PM

Vines, time to cut back?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 John wrote:
Being new to growing grapes in the greenhouse and having had a lot on the
vines this year can I ask a couple of questions please--

1.the grapes (black) were very sweet and tasty, but had a tough skin and
quite watery inside- what can I do to change this next season?

2. is this the time yet to start pruning back and also taking cuttings for
next year?

A little early. Leave it another month, at least. Best time for taking
cuttings is December-January.

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK