GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help needed on cactus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108781-help-needed-cactus.html)

dave1972 05-11-2005 02:44 PM

help needed on cactus

1 Attachment(s)
hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend and i have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have also no idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can help

Tumbleweed 05-11-2005 08:15 PM

help needed on cactus

"dave1972" wrote in message

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend and i
have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have also no
idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can help

|Filename: DCP_1296.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2878|

dave1972

What do you mean 'it needs pollinating'?

What do you think will happen if you dont get it pollinated?

[ironic its another 'holiday cactus' after the recent thread!]

Its a "Christmas cactus" there are lots of different varieties I'm sure
someone will come up with something it looks quite like, but I'd guess there
are 50 varieties that also look quite like that. For care and feeding look
up 'Christmas Cactus'

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

ned 05-11-2005 11:58 PM

help needed on cactus

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"dave1972" wrote in message

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend

and i
have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have

also no
idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can

help

|Filename: DCP_1296.JPG

|Download:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2878|

dave1972

What do you mean 'it needs pollinating'?

What do you think will happen if you dont get it pollinated?

[ironic its another 'holiday cactus' after the recent thread!]

Its a "Christmas cactus" there are lots of different varieties I'm

sure
someone will come up with something it looks quite like, but I'd

guess there
are 50 varieties that also look quite like that. For care and

feeding look
up 'Christmas Cactus'

Agreed. It doesn't 'need' pollinating. It will continue to thrive and
flower next year - if it is not killed by kindness (too much water,
sun and heat). It is one of the Zygocactus varieties, from humid
tropical forests, so it appreciates an occasional spray with water, an
occasional drink of water at the roots, no direct sunlight and
moderate warmth.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 04.11.2005

Cereus-validus-........... 06-11-2005 03:16 AM

help needed on cactus

You so-called friend is playing with you. Ask the joker what in the heck
they are babbling about.

Your plant is doing fine as it is. Don't change anything.

Cereus-validus-........... 06-11-2005 03:25 AM

help needed on cactus

You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.
Actually they grow wild in the vicinity of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil near the
Tropic of Capricorn and not hot equatorial tropical rain forest as many
assume.

dave1972 06-11-2005 08:49 AM

hi thanks everyone for your help i was told if it wasnt pollenated it wouldnt flower next year but as you all say it will flower again next year if its still alive lol well thanks for all your help this is a good group for help thanks everyone

dave

Martin Brown 06-11-2005 09:20 AM

help needed on cactus

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and seeds
potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren 06-11-2005 03:08 PM

help needed on cactus

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

Especially as the taxonomists often reverse their opinions, and a lot
of them are unreasonably dogmatic, anyway. Epiphyllum is still in
common use, as is geranium (for the genus Pelargonium), nasturtium
(for Tropaeolum major) and Viburnum fragrans.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

dave1972 06-11-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Brown
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and seeds
potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown

thanks for that martin but does anyone know how to pollinate it so i can get seeds from this plant i would like to try if i can as iam new to plants lol please any help is welcome

ned 06-11-2005 06:53 PM

help needed on cactus

Martin Brown wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm
surprised you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an
Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the
1970's. I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous
regularity but hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their
plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and
seeds potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at
all.

Sorry, seem to have missed the post from Serious-pedanticuss. :-)
OK, so my grey hairs are showing. And I'm not so involved with the
succulents as I used to be. But, I can assure our Cereus that
Zygocactus truncatus was still acceptable in the late 1980s (and
distinct from Schlumberga gaertneri) when I was picking up class
awards and medals at the BCSS National Shows.
So, the language has changed since then.
History has not.
;-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 04.11.2005

Kay 06-11-2005 09:04 PM

help needed on cactus

In article , dave1972 dave1972.1y3c
writes

thanks for that martin but does anyone know how to pollinate it so i
can get seeds from this plant i would like to try if i can as iam new
to plants lol please any help is welcome

Dab a small soft paintbrush into one flower getting it dusted with
powdery pollen from the long silky bits, then dab the paintbrush into
another flower trying to brush off the pollen on to the sticky stigma on
the end of the darker central spike. I don't know whether they're self-
fertile or whether you need to get your pollen from a different plant.

If you just want to propagate it, take any of the pieces of stem that
fall off and lay them on the soil to root, or bury them just deep enough
that they will stand up.
--
Kay

Kay 06-11-2005 09:04 PM

help needed on cactus

In article , dave1972 dave1972.1y2w
writes

hi thanks everyone for your help i was told if it wasnt pollenated it
wouldnt flower next year but as you all say it will flower again next
year if its still alive lol well thanks for all your help this is a
good group for help thanks everyone

The purpose of pollination is to produce genetic material from another
plant on to the female part of the flower to produce viable seed -
rather like the process of making a baby (though some flowers can do it
all by themselves )

Following the analogy, it's not logical for failure to be pollinated one
year to mean that you don't even try the next ;-)
--
Kay

Cereus-validus-........... 06-11-2005 10:20 PM

help needed on cactus

Keep on dreaming, Nicky boy.

It just ain't gonna happen anywhere else.

Cereus-validus-........... 06-11-2005 10:23 PM

help needed on cactus

Your friend is daft.

It is more likely the other way around.

If you pollinate it and it sets fruit, it is less likely to flower the
following year because all the energy went into seed production instead of
growth.

Cereus-validus-........... 06-11-2005 10:28 PM

help needed on cactus

Yes.

Obviously there are those out there who are well versed in hybridizing
epiphytic Cactaceae.

Did you check out their website?