Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Red face help needed on cactus

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend and i have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have also no idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can help
Attached Thumbnails
help needed on cactus-dcp_1296.jpg
Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Tumbleweed

Default help needed on cactus

"dave1972" wrote in message

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend and i
have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have also no
idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can help

|Filename: DCP_1296.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2878|

dave1972

What do you mean 'it needs pollinating'?

What do you think will happen if you dont get it pollinated?

[ironic its another 'holiday cactus' after the recent thread!]

Its a "Christmas cactus" there are lots of different varieties I'm sure
someone will come up with something it looks quite like, but I'd guess there
are 50 varieties that also look quite like that. For care and feeding look
up 'Christmas Cactus'

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-11-2005, 11:58 PM
ned

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"dave1972" wrote in message

hi iam after some help i have just got the cactus from a friend

and i
have been told that it needs pollenating can anyone help i have

also no
idear what name it is i have attached a picture hope someone can

help

|Filename: DCP_1296.JPG

|Download:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2878|

dave1972

What do you mean 'it needs pollinating'?

What do you think will happen if you dont get it pollinated?

[ironic its another 'holiday cactus' after the recent thread!]

Its a "Christmas cactus" there are lots of different varieties I'm

sure
someone will come up with something it looks quite like, but I'd

guess there
are 50 varieties that also look quite like that. For care and

feeding look
up 'Christmas Cactus'

Agreed. It doesn't 'need' pollinating. It will continue to thrive and
flower next year - if it is not killed by kindness (too much water,
sun and heat). It is one of the Zygocactus varieties, from humid
tropical forests, so it appreciates an occasional spray with water, an
occasional drink of water at the roots, no direct sunlight and
moderate warmth.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 04.11.2005

Old 06-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

You so-called friend is playing with you. Ask the joker what in the heck
they are babbling about.

Your plant is doing fine as it is. Don't change anything.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.
Actually they grow wild in the vicinity of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil near the
Tropic of Capricorn and not hot equatorial tropical rain forest as many
assume.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered User

Talking

hi thanks everyone for your help i was told if it wasnt pollenated it wouldnt flower next year but as you all say it will flower again next year if its still alive lol well thanks for all your help this is a good group for help thanks everyone

dave
Old 06-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Martin Brown

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and seeds
potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

Especially as the taxonomists often reverse their opinions, and a lot
of them are unreasonably dogmatic, anyway. Epiphyllum is still in
common use, as is geranium (for the genus Pelargonium), nasturtium
(for Tropaeolum major) and Viburnum fragrans.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm surprised
you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the 1970's.
I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous regularity but
hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and seeds
potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown

thanks for that martin but does anyone know how to pollinate it so i can get seeds from this plant i would like to try if i can as iam new to plants lol please any help is welcome
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
ned

Martin Brown wrote:
Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
You are really on top of things, Ned.

Schlumbergera haven't been called Zygocactus since the 1950's. I'm
surprised you haven't gone way back to the 1800's and called it an
Epiphyllum.

In the UK Zygocactus was still in common use until at least the
1970's. I know the taxonomists rename things with monotonous
regularity but hobbyists and garden centres seldom relabel their
plants as a result.

I suspect these days most are sold as Christmas/Easter Cactus or PC
variant Holiday Cactus. If you pollinate it you will get fruit and
seeds potentially but nothing serious happens if you do nothing at
all.

Sorry, seem to have missed the post from Serious-pedanticuss. :-)
OK, so my grey hairs are showing. And I'm not so involved with the
succulents as I used to be. But, I can assure our Cereus that
Zygocactus truncatus was still acceptable in the late 1980s (and
distinct from Schlumberga gaertneri) when I was picking up class
awards and medals at the BCSS National Shows.
So, the language has changed since then.
History has not.
;-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 04.11.2005

Old 06-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Keep on dreaming, Nicky boy.

It just ain't gonna happen anywhere else.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Your friend is daft.

It is more likely the other way around.

If you pollinate it and it sets fruit, it is less likely to flower the
following year because all the energy went into seed production instead of
growth.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Yes.

Obviously there are those out there who are well versed in hybridizing
epiphytic Cactaceae.

Did you check out their website?