Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Saxman

Default Green Mould

Has anybody got any effective ideas as to how one can get rid of green
mould on greenhouses/conservatories and to help prevent its re-occurence?

I do use a pressure washer, but still have to use it about a couple of
times a year.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Phil L

Saxman wrote:
Has anybody got any effective ideas as to how one can get rid of green
mould on greenhouses/conservatories and to help prevent its
re-occurence?

I do use a pressure washer, but still have to use it about a couple of
times a year.

It's not 'green mould' it's algy - a plant, and it grows in damp and usually
shady areas, you can clean it off as many times as you like but it will
always grow back, unless you canb keep the greenhouse or conservatory A)
dry, and B) in full sun 365 days per year.
I'll wager that you can do neither so you're stuck with it.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Rupert

"Saxman" wrote in message
.. .
Has anybody got any effective ideas as to how one can get rid of green
mould on greenhouses/conservatories and to help prevent its re-occurence?

I do use a pressure washer, but still have to use it about a couple of
times a year.

You don't say whether the material is glass or plastic?

Having cleaned the surface give it a rinse with household bleach (aim at
approx 2.5%sodium hypochlorite). Rinse off and apply a silicone treatment
such as the ones sold for car windscreens.
The glass should stay clean as the algae gets washed away by rain . When and
if the algae reappears it can be easily removed with a quick wash

Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 AM
JennyC

"Saxman" wrote in message
.. .
Has anybody got any effective ideas as to how one can get rid of green
mould on greenhouses/conservatories and to help prevent its re-occurence?

I do use a pressure washer, but still have to use it about a couple of
times a year.

Inside or out?
Is it under trees? Shade causes algae or moss to grow well
If inside, you need more ventilation

Jenny

Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Saxman

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:52:42 -0000, Rupert wrote:

You don't say whether the material is glass or plastic?

The greenhouse is glass and the conservatory roof is plastic.

I have tried adding household bleach to the water without too much effect.
Polishing with silicone is a good idea, but then one has accessibility
problems with reach and height.

As far as location, one has not always got a lot of choice.

I was wondering whether there was some effective commercial product
available, as this is quite a common problem?

Old 07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Ron Clark

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:09:47 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote this (or the missive included this):

Saxman wrote:
Has anybody got any effective ideas as to how one can get rid of green
mould on greenhouses/conservatories and to help prevent its
re-occurence?

I do use a pressure washer, but still have to use it about a couple of
times a year.

It's not 'green mould' it's algy - a plant, and it grows in damp and usually
shady areas, you can clean it off as many times as you like but it will
always grow back,

I reckon that a lot of it is common-or-garden moss, especially that
growing between the panes and the aluminium struts,

At the end of the season I spray with a proprietary moss killer and
pressure hose a couple of weeks later, It comes back next season but
this does seem to control it. I expect that Weedol or similar
could be used to the same effect. Kill it and flush it.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Saxman

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:58:44 +0000, Ron Clark wrote:

I reckon that a lot of it is common-or-garden moss, especially that
growing between the panes and the aluminium struts,

I reckon you're right there, especially on the greenhouse.

At the end of the season I spray with a proprietary moss killer and
pressure hose a couple of weeks later, It comes back next season but
this does seem to control it. I expect that Weedol or similar
could be used to the same effect. Kill it and flush it.

I will have a go.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Ron Clark

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:28:40 +0000, Saxman
wrote this (or the
missive included this):

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:52:42 -0000, Rupert wrote:

You don't say whether the material is glass or plastic?

The greenhouse is glass and the conservatory roof is plastic.

I have tried adding household bleach to the water without too much effect.
Polishing with silicone is a good idea, but then one has accessibility
problems with reach and height.

As far as location, one has not always got a lot of choice.

I was wondering whether there was some effective commercial product
available, as this is quite a common problem?

Supermarkets sell spray products designed to kill moulds in bathrooms
and showers. I see no resson why you shouldn't use one of these,
leave for a few days and pressure hose the detritus out.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹
Old 08-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:

I was wondering whether there was some effective commercial product
available, as this is quite a common problem?

Supermarkets sell spray products designed to kill moulds in bathrooms
and showers. I see no resson why you shouldn't use one of these,
leave for a few days and pressure hose the detritus out.

It's almost certainly an alga, and I don't know how or if a fungicide
would affect it. Just wetting it and washing it off should suffice.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/