Old 06-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Shazam

Default terrariums?

Any indoor gardeners suggest plants for terrariums please? I've got carried
away with making the things and they're all lined up round the house and
empty. I've put carnivorous plants in the large cathedral shaped one, but
there are a couple of globe shaped ones, diameter about 9" I need to find
plants for

thanks

Old 06-11-2005, 07:42 PM
shazzbat

"Shazam" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Any indoor gardeners suggest plants for terrariums please? I've got
carried away with making the things and they're all lined up round the
house and empty. I've put carnivorous plants in the large cathedral
shaped one, but there are a couple of globe shaped ones, diameter about 9"
I need to find plants for

thanks

How about house leeky types? semi succulent types, not too fast growing.
Sempervivum and Echeverium varieties.

Steve

Old 06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Kay

In article ws.net,
Shazam writes
Any indoor gardeners suggest plants for terrariums please?

Do you mean the enclosed glass things for growing plants in without
watering for months on end - what I know as a wardian case?

I've got carried
away with making the things and they're all lined up round the house and
empty. I've put carnivorous plants in the large cathedral shaped one,

Hmmm .... how are they going to feed?

I'd have thought you might get problems with rotting off.

but
there are a couple of globe shaped ones, diameter about 9" I need to find
plants for

The very delicate maidenhair type ferns that keel over if you take your
eye off them for half an hour and forget to water them. Go for very
delicate ones - ferns grow very happily in an enclosed moist area and
will soon outgrow if they are at all large.
--
Kay

Old 06-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

but
there are a couple of globe shaped ones, diameter about 9" I need to find
plants for

The very delicate maidenhair type ferns that keel over if you take your
eye off them for half an hour and forget to water them. Go for very
delicate ones - ferns grow very happily in an enclosed moist area and
will soon outgrow if they are at all large.

But - - -

Be careful to buy plants which are genuinely dwarf, not just treated
with growth-restricting hormones which will wear off after about a year.

I made a terranium from a ten gallon carboy and all was fine for six
months, then the roots got out of the treated compost and found
something with no hormone in, and the whole space filled with fern.

And those small varieties of house leek are OK, but you will have to
have an almost dry environment in there or they will rot. Stonecrops are
nice in that sort of environment too, but much too vigorous.

I prefer to use them as bog gardens.

Actually, I lie: I prefer to use then as vats fro brewing beer...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Ornata

Shazam wrote:
Any indoor gardeners suggest plants for terrariums please? I've got carried
away with making the things and they're all lined up round the house and
empty. I've put carnivorous plants in the large cathedral shaped one, but
there are a couple of globe shaped ones, diameter about 9" I need to find
plants for

thanks

In Hessayon's "Houseplant Expert" he suggested using small bromeliads.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
hatehuck

Try sundews or other carnivorous plants...
http://www.thecarnivorousplantsociety.org/index.html

eenews.net...