GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brrrrrrrrr! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/109052-brrrrrrrrr.html)

Sacha 14-11-2005 12:00 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Welsh Witch 14-11-2005 05:58 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:04:51 +0100, martin wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:00:02 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Here too!

*************************
Yes and here in Shropshire cars white over, but soon cleared up.
*************************

[email protected] 14-11-2005 07:33 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

Lovely and sunny here, just planted out my bedding plants in my hanging
baskets, petunias, and pansies, and hibiscus, Strelitzia is just coming
into flower (yes I had to buy one) day temps are around 20, and night
time it gets down to 15.
Mike

shazzbat 14-11-2005 08:03 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

wrote:

First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Here too!
--

And here. The Xmas sprouts and parsnips have been duly frosted.

Steve

Kay 14-11-2005 08:15 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Still no frost here. At least, no sign of any frost damage whatever. And
at 6.45am it was remarkably warm.
--
Kay

Stewart Robert Hinsley 14-11-2005 10:09 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Still no frost here. At least, no sign of any frost damage whatever. And
at 6.45am it was remarkably warm.

I didn't see any frost, but the when I went down to the allotment late
in the morning, I found that flowers on the Anoda cristata appeared to
have been frosted.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Janet Baraclough 14-11-2005 10:49 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Still no frost here.

Nor here. Just galeforce rain. Did some potting up (in drizzle during
a brief lull). Plotted clearing space in J's workshop, as indoor potting
area.

Janet

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-11-2005 10:56 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:
wrote:

First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny day.

Here too!

And here. The Xmas sprouts and parsnips have been duly frosted.

And I left a pomeranate seedling out last night to the tender mercies of
-2°C, and it seems OK.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Andy 15-11-2005 12:31 AM

Brrrrrrrrr!

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny
day.

Still no frost here.

Nor here. Just galeforce rain. Did some potting up (in drizzle during
a brief lull). Plotted clearing space in J's workshop, as indoor potting
area.

Janet

No frost in Plymouth, at least not if my nasturtiums have suddenly become
hardy - they're still blooming.

Andy.

Sacha 15-11-2005 10:07 AM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On 15/11/05 0:31, in article , "Andy"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny
day.

Still no frost here.

Nor here. Just galeforce rain. Did some potting up (in drizzle during
a brief lull). Plotted clearing space in J's workshop, as indoor potting
area.

Janet

No frost in Plymouth, at least not if my nasturtiums have suddenly become
hardy - they're still blooming.

You're probably a bit closer to the sea than we are! We're only about 3
miles from Dartmoor. The frost wasn't severe and doesn't seem to have
harmed anything but we did cover that lovely deep red nasturtium which we
had in a big Ali Baba pot and which just flies out of the nursery in spring.
I can't recall the name exactly - something like Red Velvet? I know it
doesn't set seed at all well and we like to try to get it to make nice big
clumps for us.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 15-11-2005 10:08 AM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On 15/11/05 1:23, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:31:28 -0000, "Andy"
wrote:

No frost in Plymouth, at least not if my nasturtiums have suddenly become
hardy - they're still blooming.

None here, although it did drop to 4C last night. It fell rapidly to
6C earlier on tonight, but has since risen to 8C with cloud cover.
Good job too - I've got Nerine flexuosa 'alba' out in flower ATM.
This is spectacular with glistening white, very crinkly-edged petals
that go brown at the first hint of frost. The utterly fabulous Scilla
maderensis is also on its way to flowering, so no frosts welcome here
for the next month!

Glad your Scilla is doing well - we're not risking ours outside, I can tell
you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Welsh Witch 15-11-2005 06:55 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:31:28 +0000, Andy wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes
First frost here this morning! But it's a gloriously clear and sunny
day.

Still no frost here.

Nor here. Just galeforce rain. Did some potting up (in drizzle during
a brief lull). Plotted clearing space in J's workshop, as indoor potting
area.

Janet

No frost in Plymouth, at least not if my nasturtiums have suddenly become
hardy - they're still blooming.

Andy.

*************************
Very hardy lot down in Plymouth...at least I know your people are, they
used to have a swim on Christmas Day..wonder if they still do?
************************

Sacha 15-11-2005 07:07 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On 15/11/05 18:55, in article
, "Welsh Witch"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, they do. Always makes the Western Morning News.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 15-11-2005 07:10 PM

Brrrrrrrrr!

On 15/11/05 10:07, in article
, "Sacha"

wrote:

[...]

Hermine Grashoff - a fabulous nasturtium. It was called Red something or
other and heaven only knows what possessed someone to turn its name into
Hermione Grashof. But it's outstandingly good, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Charlie Pridham 16-11-2005 09:45 AM

Brrrrrrrrr!

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote:

[...]

The one you gave us is sending up flower spikes, safely in the Conservatory.
Amazing the transformation, the leaves over summer are rather less than
inspiring then suddenly up comes all the new growth.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk