Old 27-11-2005, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Default LEEKS

Hi

I planted some leeks about 5 months ago, and they're about 3 quarters of an
inch thick now.
should I harvest them now or will the frosts kill them?

Advice welcome

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 27-11-2005, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "p.mc" contains these words:

Hi

I planted some leeks about 5 months ago, and they're about 3 quarters of an
inch thick now.
should I harvest them now or will the frosts kill them?

Advice welcome

--

Regards
p.mc

The frost won't kill them. Leeks are grown to be harvested during the winter.

However, some are hardier than others and different varieties are ready
at different times during the winter. If yours is an early variety it
would be best to pick and eat them now but if they're a late variety
they will go on getting heavier and thicker and might be best left a
while longer.

It would be very helpful if you knew what variety they are and what
their season of use is.

Janet G
Old 27-11-2005, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
p.mc wrote:
Hi

I planted some leeks about 5 months ago, and they're about 3 quarters of an
inch thick now.
should I harvest them now or will the frosts kill them?

Whatever. They are very hardy, and will stand quite severe frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2005, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Stockdale

"p.mc" wrote in message
Hi

I planted some leeks about 5 months ago, and they're about 3 quarters of
an
inch thick now.
should I harvest them now or will the frosts kill them?

Advice welcome

--

Regards
p.mc

The frosts will not harm them,
We leave ours in until we want to munch them.
We were still digging them up in March this year.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 27-11-2005, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

--
..
"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"p.mc" wrote in message
Hi

I planted some leeks about 5 months ago, and they're about 3 quarters of
an
inch thick now.
should I harvest them now or will the frosts kill them?

Advice welcome

--

Regards
p.mc

The frosts will not harm them,
We leave ours in until we want to munch them.
We were still digging them up in March this year.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Ours are coming on quite nicely and unless any of the 'house sitters' use
them, they will stay in the ground until we return in April!!!

Mike
The truth will prevail

Old 28-11-2005, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Stockdale

"p.mc" wrote in message
Well thanks for that everyone, it's a pity I mislaid the packet they came
in.

--

Regards
p.mc

Whatever variety - they are unlikely to come to any harm until needed.
Ground conditions are perhaps a more important factor than variety.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM