GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Alternatives to "Seal & Heal" for bark damage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/109995-alternatives-seal-heal-bark-damage.html)

[email protected] 20-12-2005 11:56 AM

Alternatives to "Seal & Heal" for bark damage

Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.? Or where can I buy it in larger
quantities than the 250ml pots?

We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if possible.

--
Chris Green

Mike Lyle 20-12-2005 02:32 PM

wrote:
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and

Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.? Or where can I buy it in larger
quantities than the 250ml pots?

We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage

from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them

heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if

possible.

There's a school of thought which holds that a wound dressing may
simply seal in any nasties which have already floated in. I have no
opinion on that, myself; but perhaps you could simply use engineering
grease.

--
Mike.

[email protected] 20-12-2005 09:57 PM

wrote:
We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if possible.

30years ago my Grandfather used to use red oxide paint. It seemed to
work fine. Of course, black would be visually less intrusive....

When I worked in apple orchards we kept a spray of Jeyes' fluid with
us. Any branches broken off we just flooded the end with diluted
jeyes, and left them.

landscapeadvice 21-12-2005 08:25 AM

Alternatives to "Seal & Heal" for bark damage

The arbrex treatment may inhibit repair.Trees are able to recover the
wound by forming a calous in time which self seals the area.
look for other tree damage in the plot.
Our experience of tree damage is from deer and required the fitting of
6ft high deer fencing on all boundaries, costing £7000 for 1,100
metres.So maybe the high netting around each tree idea is your first
port of call. Would be interested in how successful you are. Steve.

penance 21-12-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.? Or where can I buy it in larger
quantities than the 250ml pots?

We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if possible.

--
Chris Green

Just leave them as they are, painting tar is not recomended any more, as mentioned it can seal in pathogens.
Regarding red oxide, i would be concerned about the lead content.

Sla#s 21-12-2005 05:34 PM

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and

Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.?

SNIP

There's a school of thought which holds that a wound dressing may
simply seal in any nasties which have already floated in. I have no
opinion on that, myself; but perhaps you could simply use engineering
grease.

I was going to mention that and in addition say I was told to rub earth from
the base of the tree into the wound.
Something to do with letting "stuff wot the tree is use to" getting in and
colonising the wound before anything more harmful.

Slatts