GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hello, im new (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110212-re-hello-im-new.html)

Sacha 30-12-2005 11:22 PM

Hello, im new

On 30/12/05 7:39 pm, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:
On 30/12/05 2:06 pm, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
snip

That was the winter the fox got my ducks, Ploof and Gabble. (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg - pic taken in 1946)

The year I was born! What a very "aaaaah" pic - absolutely charming and a
bit Christopher Robin in the nicest sort of way!

Hmmmm.

OK, that's one literary allusion - now - why Ploof and Gabble?

clue

You in the group, if anyone, ought to know!

/clue

Didn't Starck design a chair called Ploof? Other than that, I don't know
and have to go to the bottom of the class!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 30-12-2005 11:37 PM

Hello, im new

On 30/12/05 23:22, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 30/12/05 7:39 pm, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"

wrote:
snip

That was the winter the fox got my ducks, Ploof and Gabble. (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg - pic taken in 1946)

The year I was born! What a very "aaaaah" pic - absolutely charming and a
bit Christopher Robin in the nicest sort of way!

Hmmmm.

OK, that's one literary allusion - now - why Ploof and Gabble?

clue

You in the group, if anyone, ought to know!

/clue

Didn't Starck design a chair called Ploof? Other than that, I don't know
and have to go to the bottom of the class!

Ha! Gottit but I admit I had to Google as it was a little before my time!
Ploof the Wild Duck by Père Castor?

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rusty Hinge 2 31-12-2005 12:48 AM

Hello, im new

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

OK, that's one literary allusion - now - why Ploof and Gabble?

clue

You in the group, if anyone, ought to know!

/clue

Didn't Starck design a chair called Ploof? Other than that, I don't know
and have to go to the bottom of the class!

Dunno, but that's not the allusion.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 31-12-2005 12:51 AM

Hello, im new

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Ha! Gottit but I admit I had to Google as it was a little before my time!
Ploof the Wild Duck by Père Castor?

Yup. Marvellous books. I still have that book, and 'Martin the
Kingfisher', 'Quippic the Hedgehog' and 'Cuckoo'. Beautiful
illustrations too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sacha 31-12-2005 07:36 AM

Hello, im new

On 31/12/05 0:51, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Ha! Gottit but I admit I had to Google as it was a little before my time!
Ploof the Wild Duck by Père Castor?

Yup. Marvellous books. I still have that book, and 'Martin the
Kingfisher', 'Quippic the Hedgehog' and 'Cuckoo'. Beautiful
illustrations too.

As a very small child, I remember reading some books in which the characters
were all orang utans and I'm pretty sure one was called 'Grandpa', or
something similar. I cannot remember the name of the books and have never
met anyone else who had them. I just remember being totally enamoured of
them so if anyone does know what they were, I'd be very grateful for a
memory nudge.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

JennyC 31-12-2005 08:37 AM

Hello, im new

"Sacha" wrote
Didn't Starck design a chair called Ploof? Other than that, I don't know
and have to go to the bottom of the class!
Sacha

Yes - http://www.highbrowfurniture.com/seating/products/6015/

Why call your duck that please ??

Gabble is much more easy to understand :~)

gab·ble (gbl)
v. gab·bled, gab·bling, gab·bles
v.intr.
1. To speak rapidly or incoherently; jabber.
2. To make rapid, low muttering or quacking sounds, as a goose or duck.
v.tr.
To utter rapidly or incoherently.
n.
1. Rapid, incoherent, or meaningless speech.
2. The low muttering sound of a goose or duck.

Jenny