GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   not quite a gardening question ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110311-not-quite-gardening-question.html)

kathryn 04-01-2006 09:34 AM

not quite a gardening question !

Hi all
we have a bunny and two guineas that live in the shed, lately they have had company, we know this because the feed sacks been eaten into and these are out of reach to the pets), is there any way of telling whether its a rat or a mouse (droppings ect).
Would the guineas still be alive if it was a rat??
I have had trouble with a rat before which i found in my compost bin (yikes) pest control dealt with it that time.
Kathryn

Rupert 04-01-2006 03:44 PM

"kathryn" wrote in message

Hi all
we have a bunny and two guineas that live in the shed, lately they have
had company, we know this because the feed sacks been eaten into and
these are out of reach to the pets), is there any way of telling
whether its a rat or a mouse (droppings ect).
Would the guineas still be alive if it was a rat??
I have had trouble with a rat before which i found in my compost bin
(yikes) pest control dealt with it that time.
Kathryn

That reminds me of a joke--something to do with Ratshit screwdrivers.
A solitary rat is unusual there are lots more around .
Rat droppings are much larger than mouse poo,however, just to confuse the
issue adult mouse poo is about the same size of a baby rat droppings.

Keep the food in sealed containers and keep the animal surroundings free of
edible stuff and discarded food.
The mice and rats will still explore but won't hang around and start nesting

undergroundbob 04-01-2006 07:30 PM

Mice seem to like moving things around and making little stashes of seed etc. Cute as I find mice, and better than rats as they are, they're not really what you want invading your shed! Put your feed in plastic tubs or buckets, you're throwing tempation in their path..

Bob

kathryn 05-01-2006 10:37 AM

thanks for the advice, i shall do as you suggest and keep an eye out for the little visitors

Padger 05-01-2006 07:36 PM

"kathryn" wrote in message

thanks for the advice, i shall do as you suggest and keep an eye out for

the little visitors kathryn

Having 4 cats our mice problem is only the occasional one brought into the
house. Took me over a week to catch the latest one and evict it.
However, if you dont have a cat you can invest in a humane trap and then you
will know for sure whether you have rats or mice or indeed, both.
Once caught you can release them elsewhere if you are averse to destroying
them.
When we had rabbits and guinea pigs we had a shelter which was used for
storing hay and straw and also to put hutches in overwinter.
We noticed rats had moved in but I think it was more for the shelter as food
was unavailable to them unless they raided the food bowls which I doubt.
After disturbing them several times they seemed to go of their own accord as
I never tried to catch them.
ps For a good live tap use a milk bottle baited with cornflakes or sweetpea
seeds. Prop it between 45 & 90 degrees in such a manner that the mice have
easy access to the opening. They enter for the food and can't climb out
again so you can take the little critters elsewhere.
Jim

Rusty Hinge 2 05-01-2006 11:25 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Padger" contains these words:
"kathryn" wrote in message

thanks for the advice, i shall do as you suggest and keep an eye out for

the little visitors kathryn

Having 4 cats our mice problem is only the occasional one brought into the
house. Took me over a week to catch the latest one and evict it.
However, if you dont have a cat you can invest in a humane trap and then you
will know for sure whether you have rats or mice or indeed, both.
Once caught you can release them elsewhere if you are averse to destroying
them.

Please note: 'Can'. However, you 'may' not.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

kathryn 09-01-2006 01:11 PM

thanks for all the advice.
pulled everything out of the shed yesterday and there were quite a few holes so i've blocked them all up, hopefully that'll keep the little vermin out. Is there anything i can paint on the outside of the shed to stop them from chewing the wood...?

Janet Baraclough 09-01-2006 06:59 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

thanks for all the advice.
pulled everything out of the shed yesterday and there were quite a few
holes so i've blocked them all up, hopefully that'll keep the little
vermin out. Is there anything i can paint on the outside of the shed to
stop them from chewing the wood...?

How about a sign saying "Strictly no chewing"?

Janet

Rusty Hinge 2 09-01-2006 07:17 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

thanks for all the advice.
pulled everything out of the shed yesterday and there were quite a few
holes so i've blocked them all up, hopefully that'll keep the little
vermin out. Is there anything i can paint on the outside of the shed to
stop them from chewing the wood...?

Nitroglycerine?

The best deterrent is not to have any food loose.

The second-best one is to keep ferrets.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

undergroundbob 09-01-2006 07:18 PM

A wee sign that says 'no rodents'?

Sorry.

Bob

kathryn 10-01-2006 09:59 AM

ha ha ha...you are all soooooooooooooooooo witty !

Richard Brooks 10-01-2006 03:17 PM

kathryn wrote:
thanks for all the advice.
pulled everything out of the shed yesterday and there were quite a few
holes so i've blocked them all up, hopefully that'll keep the little
vermin out. Is there anything i can paint on the outside of the shed to
stop them from chewing the wood...?

Not being clever or funny I suppose something like ammonia or anything
that would irritate its nostrils would be a thought but as the happy
bunch on mainland Europe has disallowed the proper creosote which stinks
the area out (especially on a hot summer's night) and is harmful to
pets, vermin and plants, you can't use that.

Rats are generally immune to the poisons put out but if you could mix in
a bitter tasting liquid in with your coating that might help. Try the
following;

http://www.pestproducts.com/ropel.htm

Richard.

Janet Baraclough 10-01-2006 03:48 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

ha ha ha...you are all soooooooooooooooooo witty !

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

Janet

La Puce 10-01-2006 04:55 PM

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

The context is not *that* a difficulty in this thread. Perhaps your
post tickled her saying 'No chewing', Rusty saying 'Nitroglycerin' and
perhaps also undergroundbob with his sign saying 'No rodents'.

Rusty Hinge 2 10-01-2006 05:01 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

ha ha ha...you are all soooooooooooooooooo witty !

But I meant what i said about ferrets...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 10-01-2006 05:03 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

------------------================QUOTE================--------------------

Hi all
we have a bunny and two guineas that live in the shed, lately they have
had company, we know this because the feed sacks been eaten into and
these are out of reach to the pets), is there any way of telling
whether its a rat or a mouse (droppings ect).
Would the guineas still be alive if it was a rat??
I have had trouble with a rat before which i found in my compost bin
(yikes) pest control dealt with it that time.
Kathryn

--
kathryn

------------------================UNQUOTE================--------------------

That help?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sue 10-01-2006 05:54 PM

not quite a gardening question !

"La Puce" wrote
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

The context is not *that* a difficulty in this thread. snip

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups and therefore only browse through the new
replies. For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected
to make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

--
Sue

La Puce 10-01-2006 06:21 PM

Sue wrote:

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Err .. yes Miss.

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups and therefore only browse through the new
replies. For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected
to make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

Ok. It's indeed a good way of going about responding to post. However,
and please don't get mad at me, I don't understand why you hide your
'read messages' viewer when it precisely let you know what you've read
or not. Why do you scroll through pages and pages of already read stuff
and don't just go to the highlighted ones you haven't read? This thread
is minute compared to some others. What do you use?

Janet Baraclough 10-01-2006 09:13 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:

"La Puce" wrote
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

The context is not *that* a difficulty in this thread. snip

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups

Quite. Kathryn has received a string of replies following her first
post. All those replies demonstrated reply-with-quote, politely making
the context and thread intelligible, especially to later arrivals who
missed the start. Despite that, every single post scattered through the
thread by K, failed to follow suit. Each one was unintelligible to any
late-comers. She is using the group, and the thread, as if they are her
private help-line, instead of the communal discussion newsgroups are
meant to be.

Janet

Janet Baraclough 10-01-2006 09:23 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

[...]

No. Nobody has made a witty comment on "that" post.

Mind you, "bunny" was a serious temptation.

Janet

Rupert 10-01-2006 11:13 PM

not quite a gardening question !

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sue wrote:

[...]

She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
She uses common sense and hides read messages.

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 12:14 AM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Quite. Kathryn has received a string of replies following her first
post. All those replies demonstrated reply-with-quote, politely making
the context and thread intelligible, especially to later arrivals who
missed the start. Despite that, every single post scattered through the
thread by K, failed to follow suit. Each one was unintelligible to any
late-comers. She is using the group, and the thread, as if they are her
private help-line, instead of the communal discussion newsgroups are
meant to be.

Not everyone has the knowledge of how Usenet works, or the experience of
it to get things right at first.

If the posts had come from an experienced user I could AOL the irritation.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sue 11-01-2006 01:01 AM

not quite a gardening question !

"Rupert" wrote
"La Puce" wrote
Sue wrote:

snip
For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected to
make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

Ok. It's indeed a good way of going about responding to post. However,
and please don't get mad at me, I don't understand why you hide your
'read messages' viewer when it precisely let you know what you've read
or not. Why do you scroll through pages and pages of already read stuff
and don't just go to the highlighted ones you haven't read? This thread
is minute compared to some others. What do you use?

She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
She uses common sense and hides read messages.

Wot 'e said. :)

I don't know about other newsreaders but with OE it seems to me much less
unwieldy to have only unread posts in view, especially if subbed to several
large groups. This group's a bit quieter at the moment (altho' it can be
very busy at other times of year) but in others there can be literally
hundreds of new posts a day to wade through. Yes new ones are highlighted
but it's much simpler to have all previously read stuff hidden to be able
to quickly see which threads have been added to and which, if any, to skip,
who's posted and whether I've had a response to anything of my own etc.

--
Sue

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 09:24 AM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Rupert" wrote
"La Puce" wrote

snip

Wot 'e said. :)

I don't know about other newsreaders but with OE it seems to me much less
unwieldy to have only unread posts in view, especially if subbed to several
large groups. This group's a bit quieter at the moment (altho' it can be
very busy at other times of year) but in others there can be literally
hundreds of new posts a day to wade through. Yes new ones are highlighted
but it's much simpler to have all previously read stuff hidden to be able
to quickly see which threads have been added to and which, if any, to skip,
who's posted and whether I've had a response to anything of my own etc.

I wish I knew what all you lot were going on about!

In my newsreader I have a column on the left with all subscribed-to
newsgroups. A star against an entry indicates unread message(s) there.
Highlight it and in the middle column is shown the subjects in the
highlighted group. If any of these is starred, there are unread messages
there. The right-hand column shows the authors, and a star against any
of these indicates 'unread'.

Double-clicking on any item opens it. If you reply, the item window
remains open, but usually underneath the reply.

To look at what has gone before, either there must be quoted text in the
newsitem, or the reply window must be minimised or placed beneath the
newsitem, and one, or a series of them opened until the context is
found.

Janet uses the same system.

When there is no context quoted in a reply, it makes it unworthwhile
reading most of them, because it is seldom apparant what the poster is
talking about, especially if, as I do, one subscribes to a lot of
newsgroups, and the thread is a bit elderly.

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

La Puce 11-01-2006 02:03 PM

not quite a gardening question !

Sue wrote:

Wot 'e said. :)

(snip)

I use it at work but not for my forums to the exception of one local
Manchester group. I understand now indeed. And this is indeed why I use
google instead. OE is a pain. I do have to go back to see because it's
not 'threaded' as in beta, or turnpike, but one after the other and
indeed if someone like Kathryn doesn't quote the previous post ...
you're lost.

I'm glad I asked coz I thought you were mad .... g

La Puce 11-01-2006 02:14 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I wish I knew what all you lot were going on about!

LOL!! Priceless!!

In my newsreader I have a column on the left with all subscribed-to
newsgroups. A star against an entry indicates unread message(s) there.
Highlight it and in the middle column is shown the subjects in the
highlighted group. If any of these is starred, there are unread messages
there. The right-hand column shows the authors, and a star against any
of these indicates 'unread'.
Double-clicking on any item opens it. If you reply, the item window
remains open, but usually underneath the reply.
To look at what has gone before, either there must be quoted text in the
newsitem, or the reply window must be minimised or placed beneath the
newsitem, and one, or a series of them opened until the context is
found.
Janet uses the same system.

Yes, so do I. But Outlook Express doesn't do that. Sadly it is not
really meant for chatty chappies like us but for straight simple emails
I'm afarid. On OE you do get the tittle of the subject/thread and the
poster's name but if no quote from previous post you cannot tell to
whom or to what it is in responce of. A responce from Kathryn as it
was, was like a little cry in the deepest night from somewhere far away

(snip)

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

I'll bring it with some home made biscuits and I'll throw in a feet
massage for free if you're not careful!! Got your jiffy package today.
You're a lovely fellow indeed :o)

Sue 11-01-2006 03:26 PM

not quite a gardening question !

"La Puce" wrote
I use it at work but not for my forums to the exception of one local
Manchester group. I understand now indeed. And this is indeed why I use
google instead. OE is a pain. I do have to go back to see because it's
not 'threaded' as in beta, or turnpike, but one after the other and
indeed if someone like Kathryn doesn't quote the previous post ...
you're lost.

I'm glad I asked coz I thought you were mad .... g

S'alright, the feeling is quite mutual.

OE is fine AFAIC. I've used it without much problem since I got online -
you just have to know its little foibles. It can indeed show threads
properly threaded (view menucurrent viewgroup msgs by conversation),
however even with entire threads laid out on show *you* try and see where a
reply fits in on a busy group when it comes out of the blue without quoted
context or attributions, when there've been say 30 or more other replies in
between and the thread's branched and wandered off the way these things do.
The post probably won't show up directly underneath the one it was replying
to - it could be half way down the screen instead. People can post how they
wish but in those circs it may get ignored by many.

Anyway.. enough already!

--
Sue

Sue 11-01-2006 03:26 PM

not quite a gardening question !

"La Puce" wrote
Yes, so do I. But Outlook Express doesn't do that. Sadly it is not
really meant for chatty chappies like us but for straight simple emails
I'm afarid. On OE you do get the tittle of the subject/thread and the
poster's name but if no quote from previous post you cannot tell to
whom or to what it is in responce of.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. OE is a perfectly usable and functional
newsreader which shows ng threads properly threaded. I've used it for
years. It has the odd foible as with any progam and they can be dealt with.
AFAICS most people who whinge about it either didn't set it up properly, or
can't be bothered to format a post legibly in the first place whatever
software they use!

A responce from Kathryn as it was, was like a little cry in the deepest
night from somewhere far away

It could have been yes, but because the reasons already given, and not a
fault of OE.

--
Sue

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 05:50 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

[...]

Can't you highlught what you want to quote, then hit 'reply'?

(snip)

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

I'll bring it with some home made biscuits

Hmmm. My favourites, home-made biccies! Matron makes lovely charcoal
bikkies: you can tell when they're done because the fire brigade comes
to try them out.

and I'll throw in a feet
massage for free if you're not careful!!

Nurse uses a rolling pin, you know.

Got your jiffy package today.
You're a lovely fellow indeed :o)

Oh good. That was quick - we only have one post, and it leaves about 5 pm.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Janet Baraclough 11-01-2006 07:29 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Janet

Mike Lyle 11-01-2006 09:07 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

[...]
Yes, so do I. But Outlook Express doesn't do that. Sadly it is not
really meant for chatty chappies like us but for straight simple
emails I'm afarid. On OE you do get the tittle of the

subject/thread
and the poster's name but if no quote from previous post you

cannot
tell to whom or to what it is in responce of. A responce from
Kathryn as it was, was like a little cry in the deepest night from
somewhere far away

Can't you highlught what you want to quote, then hit 'reply'?

[...].

Frayed knot. You have to hit "Reply group", and then, in the window
which appears, highlight and delete extranery. It's ok when you're
used to it, and in any case better than Google Groups, for which you
have to know a secret they don't tell you, for their own mysterious
Googular reasons. (You don't hit "Reply" in GG, or you'll get a blank
window and risk social pariah status. Instead, you have to hit "Show
Options" and then the "Reply" in the heading which appears: that
displays the message you're replying to and allows you to carry out
Christian editing.) GG doesn't even store your signature for repeated
use, as in

--
Mike.

La Puce 11-01-2006 10:18 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Yes I do. As I mentioned earlier, I use it at work, for a local forum
but not gardening ones. I don't mix business with pleasure. Yet.

From: "Sue" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:26:34 -0000
Subject: not quite a gardening question !
"La Puce" wrote

Sue 11-01-2006 11:03 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Yes I do. As I mentioned earlier, I use it at work, for a local forum
but not gardening ones. snip

Nope! You were referring to OE which *I* use. Janet and Rusty, as they have
said, use a different one - their ISP's own newsreader.

--
Sue

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 11:28 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Oh yes she doesn't!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 11:31 PM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Can't you highlught what you want to quote, then hit 'reply'?

[...].

Frayed knot. You have to hit "Reply group", and then, in the window
which appears, highlight and delete extranery. It's ok when you're
used to it, and in any case better than Google Groups, for which you
have to know a secret they don't tell you, for their own mysterious
Googular reasons. (You don't hit "Reply" in GG, or you'll get a blank
window and risk social pariah status. Instead, you have to hit "Show
Options" and then the "Reply" in the heading which appears: that
displays the message you're replying to and allows you to carry out
Christian editing.) GG doesn't even store your signature for repeated
use, as in

And this is progress?

The ZIMACS way has been a feature for more than ten years.

(Since more than ten years, Mme la Puce!)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 11:34 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Yes I do. As I mentioned earlier, I use it at work, for a local forum
but not gardening ones. I don't mix business with pleasure. Yet.

Janet's injecting a little Panto.

We both use ZIMACS, the best newsreader in the World.

From: "Sue" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:26:34 -0000
"La Puce" wrote
I use it at work but not for my forums to the exception of one local
Manchester group. I understand now indeed.

HTH

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rupert 12-01-2006 12:18 AM

not quite a gardening question !

"Sue" wrote in message

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Yes I do. As I mentioned earlier, I use it at work, for a local forum
but not gardening ones. snip

Nope! You were referring to OE which *I* use. Janet and Rusty, as they
have
said, use a different one - their ISP's own newsreader.

--
Sue

10/10 for perseverance. Can you now explain to La puce the differences
between Linux and Windows so she can tell which one she is using (at work or
home)

Judith Lea 12-01-2006 10:19 AM

not quite a gardening question !

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Janet

Janet, oh Janet, I am in trouble with my newsreader at home. On this
(personal) computer I use Turnpike, obviously I cannot use my third
other computer for newsgroups as it is an NHS one and cannot download
newsgroups. So not to confuse you any further, at home I go into Google
to read the n.g.

I cannot tell which posts I have read on Google and I cannot reply as is
asks me to register - and when I do, I can't click on the link and
then....and so on...........

Sacha was kind enough to email me to try and help and through her at
least I can read on Google otherwise I wouldn't have even known that.

What is the purpose of this ramble, oh yes., does anyone have a copy of
Turnpike I can use at home. I subscribe to Demon and they gave Turnpike
away initially but I don't know where to get one now.

On another note, I have got elephants in my attics - that's what it
sounds like, though I suspect they have long tails and therefore I shall
have to get the vermin man in again.
--
Judith Lea

Rusty Hinge 2 12-01-2006 10:33 AM

not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

10/10 for perseverance. Can you now explain to La puce the differences
between Linux and Windows so she can tell which one she is using (at
work or
home)

The first indicator is the 'Crash Co-efficient', or the frequency of the BSOD.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

kathryn 12-01-2006 10:46 AM

Whoops...looks like ive opened a whole can of worms...
apologies for my forum ignorance...this is all new to me, hope im not expelled from this web site , didnt realise it would get so heavy...