GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELP- Are Passion Flowers Evergreen ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110443-help-passion-flowers-evergreen.html)

[email protected] 08-01-2006 08:21 PM

HELP- Are Passion Flowers Evergreen ???

I wonder if any of the subscribers are able to help?

I have been looking for a vigorous growing evergreen climber to screen
a wall -- Read on :-

I have a Honeysuckle, Climates and Passion Fruit plants on a southwest
facing wall. We haven't had any real heavy frost but with what we
have had the Honeysuckle and Climates have withered away, as expected,
but the Passion Flower has stayed green and is vibrant and showing new
growth.

Are Passion Flowers evergreen??? If so, this type of plant may be the
Plant I have been looking for !

Please advise.

Many Thanks.

Rick.

La Puce 09-01-2006 11:59 AM

wrote:

Are Passion Flowers evergreen???

Yes :o)

Janet Baraclough 09-01-2006 12:28 PM

HELP- Are Passion Flowers Evergreen ???

The message .com
from contains these words:

I wonder if any of the subscribers are able to help?

I have been looking for a vigorous growing evergreen climber to screen
a wall -- Read on :-

I have a Honeysuckle, Climates and Passion Fruit plants on a southwest
facing wall. We haven't had any real heavy frost but with what we
have had the Honeysuckle and Climates have withered away, as expected,
but the Passion Flower has stayed green and is vibrant and showing new
growth.

Are Passion Flowers evergreen???

No, deciduous. But in a mild winter and sheltered spot, the leaves on
P caerulea sometimes stay on till spring. However, the stems the leaves
grow on are less hardy than honeysuckle and clematis. In a cold winter
or exposed place, the passionflower will drop its leaves. In a very cold
winter, all the stems will be killed right back to below ground level .
If the roots are sufficiently insulated from cold penetration, they may
send up new stems the next summer..but not always in the same place as
before. Mine had its roots under a big stone slab.

Janet

La Puce 09-01-2006 01:16 PM

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Are Passion Flowers evergreen???

No, deciduous. But in a mild winter and sheltered spot, the leaves on
P caerulea sometimes stay on till spring.

(snip)

All are said to be evergreen to the exception of incarnata. The ones
that are semi-evergreen depending on the winter, is coccinea,
alatocaeruta and virifolia. My neighbour's P caerulea is evergreen
against a wall under a porch.