Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Default mystery plant

Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I presume,
as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a human hand
sticking out of the ground.

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

Old 12-01-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I
presume, as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a
human hand sticking out of the ground.

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

Some type of Oxalis perhaps?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I
presume, as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a
human hand sticking out of the ground.

Sysyrynchium??
http://bonsaibc.ca/peninsula/Sisyrin...ellow_2002.JPG

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it ;-)

Steve

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Steve

"stevej" wrote in message
Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it
;-)

Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

There are piles of species and varieties. The standard garden ones have
either a spike of lemon yellow flowers or there is a blue one as you say.
We have a nice low growing one with bright butter yellow flowers (as
described inteh original post) and I have no idea what species or variety it
is as we got it from an aunt and she did not even know it was a sysrthingy
never mind which species.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

having googled with the correct spelling to find the picture in the first
place, I mistyped it when replying to teh e-mail.
google has hundreds of images listed.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"stevej" wrote in message
Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it
;-)

throwt-wobb-lerr-man-grove