Old 19-01-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
me_and_my

Default Advice is sought on Pruning a Pampas Grass

Advice is sought on Pruning a Pampas Grass, and the best time to move
it ??

The plumes are looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment. Sould
I cut them and the blades hard back now, and possible split and
replant ??
Old 19-01-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
me_and_my wrote:
Advice is sought on Pruning a Pampas Grass, and the best time to move
it ??

The plumes are looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment. Sould
I cut them and the blades hard back now, and possible split and
replant ??

If you like. Don't bother to fertilise it - your blood will do
that quite effectively. If you cut it back the easy way (burning
the top off), watch out for hibernating hedgehogs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"me_and_my" wrote in message
Advice is sought on Pruning a Pampas Grass, and the best time to move
it ??

The plumes are looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment. Sould
I cut them and the blades hard back now, and possible split and
replant ??

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pampas burns well and is a natural process. It tidies the whole plant
and even seems to rejuvenate. When it has become black stumps is a good
time to divide. Before burning, treat with respect as can be very sharp.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 20-01-2006, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

Snip prune ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pampas burns well and is a natural process. It tidies the whole plant
and even seems to rejuvenate. When it has become black stumps is a good
time to divide. Before burning, treat with respect as can be very sharp.
Best Wishes

Brian.

I'd go one step further, though Brian. I wouldn't divide the clumps unless
they were enormous and taking up too much room. The larger the clump of
Pampas grass, the more plumes and seed heads there are to enjoy come late
Autumn and early Fall to carry the Winter season over. I always burn my
Miscanthus back in March so that it's giving the birds a place to hang out
until spring. Too tidy and you lose the beauty of a mature clump of
grasses. I agree it's the cheapest way to increase your stock to have more
grasses around the garden, I just don't divide grasses until you can't see
where I've taken a piece for another spot. (the Miscanthus Zebra grass I
got was so large, you didn't notice I had dug out a clump when I first got
it, and when I divided it to put a couple of hunks into the lower first
terrace of this slope, years later,the clump I took from had been
established long enough you were hard pressed to see where I divided it.
And it filled out nicely from where I took the pieces).

madgardener, in Eastern Tennessee where false spring is making me
nuts.............

Old 21-01-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Garden Oasis

Cortaderia or 'Pampas Grass' should be pruned or burnt in Spring.
Burning sounds harmful but is actually the best way to remove the
previous years leaves and plumbs and the ash will fertilise the roots
and encourage strong new growth. If it is planted as part of a mixed
border or next to a fence, pruning is the safer option but make sure
you wear protective gloves as the leaf edges are very sharp.

April is the best time to divide and replant.

Garden Oasis
www.gardenoasis.co.uk