Old 14-02-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

Default OT Problem with this uk.rec.gardening

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

"Flower Bobdew" wrote
Sue writes

"Flower Bobdew" wrote
snip

As one of those you deem 'clueless'

GAH! If I could take it back again and again and again I would.
Particularly if it's going to avoid alienating people from researching
their computer use/knowledge. The initial comment really was meant
tongue-in-cheek. [I honestly didn't expect this to become a worthy
thread - in that many people would read/respond.] Hence my subsequent
comments amending the term used.

Ok. I did write an even grumpier reply the previous night - but deleted
that one.

In that case I'm pleased you decided to sleep on it first. Much grumpier
wouldn't suit you, Sue.

You don't have to be a 'techie' to appreciate the benefits and, more
importantly, to use software other than that which came bundled with
your Microsoft PC.

I know that, and I'm sure that, just like me, other OE users have
installed things that aren't part of the Gatesian Empire and have
ditched some bundled progs that were a waste of disk space. I wasn't
implying that you have to be an expert to use other software. Similarly
you don't have to be an expert to find info on how to whip OE into shape
and deal with security.

On the latter point, clearly significant numbers of people don't -
either through sheer ignorance or some degree of laziness. Probably also
an element of the time honoured 'it always happens to someone else'
attitude, too.

Can you think of any other walk of life where you would put all your
eggs in one basket and not be able to make the most of freedom of
choice?

Quite so but, as in other walks of life, you can't simply assume people
aren't doing that if they haven't made the same choice as you.

To be fair, Sue... I choose to use some non-MS products in part due to
personal choice [e.g. in general use - that is, I *have* to use the
clunky OE at work, which allows me to appreciate Turnpike{1} even more
when I get home!], as well as for the well founded security issues. [As
someone else also points out... Hackers and virus writers invariably
won't waste their time trying to find issues with software that
relatively few people use. Even largely relatively speaking - hence few
such problems associated with Apple computers/operating software.]

It's also important to know when you've actually made a choice - which
you certainly appear to have done. Unfortunately, many people taking the
computer plunge aren't in a position to be so well informed as to be
aware of this choice. And equally as many people then probably stick
with what they know, as they know how long it took them to familiarise
themselves with their initial, ummm, 'choice'.

Again, apologies for any perceived patronising tone.

Alright, you're forgiven just this once.

I'll endeavour to be on my best behaviour. I even promise not to post
'remember: green side up' in the turf thread.

{1} Bearing in mind that the folk that developed this mail/newsreader
did so with nothing else in mind. That was their soul focus. And, IMO,
it shows. Meanwhile MS try and integrate seemingly everything and it
straddles your system like some grumpy, often incontinent, elephant!

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 14-02-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert writes

Paper tape as in Telex machines?

No, as in mini-computers while the big machine next door was using
punched cards.

It was my way of wowing the biologists I was working with - hold their
paper tape up to the light and say "ah .. the reason it's not reading
your data is that you have left out the carriage return just there"
It's the small pleasures that make the day go well ;-)

--
Kay
Old 14-02-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

Paper tape as in Telex machines?

No, as in mini-computers while the big machine next door was using
punched cards.

It was my way of wowing the biologists I was working with - hold

their
paper tape up to the light and say "ah .. the reason it's not

reading
your data is that you have left out the carriage return just there"
It's the small pleasures that make the day go well ;-)

Oh, that brings back memories.
I can remember sticking chads back in the holes to correct a mistake
to save having to churn out a new tape.
And that was before the days of conservation!
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk