Old 26-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default When to move a Clematis?

I have a clematis, currently in a sunless and secluded corner of the garden.
It has survived this mistreatment, but I would like to move it into the
light, ideally to a south facing fence.

First question is, when is the best time to do this? Second question, am I
correct that clematis like "cold roots" and if so, will a paving slab at
it's base suffice?

Thanks,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 26-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Christopher Hill

The best time is either in auturm ( aug-oct) or spring (mar-apr) this will
allow the root ball to establish properly before either cold weather or
dryness sets in depending on the season you move it. I have found that
clematis are quite hardy having moved a perle d'azur several times it is
still alive and flourishes. As stated you are correct in thinking that they
require cold shaded roots. The best method i have found is to plant the root
ball deep (10-15cm) below the surface of soil then covering it with a bed of
pea shingle i have also introdued a number of ground covering shrubs. This
allowing for a more natural look rather than the hard edges of a paving slab
or such. If you use a plastic pot turned upside down with the bottom cut out
as a temporay measure to shaded it this should protect it while the shrubs
grow around it. I hope this has helped.

et...

Old 26-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Paul D.Smith

Great help thanks.

Paul DS.

Old 26-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Jack

I have a clematis Josephine. I can't abide the thing and I've moved it at
least twice, in early summer. Both times it's come back and is the only
clematis I have that flowers like crazy!

I plant it really deep, place a roof tile or big rock over its roots, and
away it goes. I find clematis are beggars to move because their stems are
so brittle and they snap so easily. I think it would be easier to move them
in early spring before they've put on too much brittle growth.