Old 27-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Jonathan Ward

Default Sunflowers in containers

Does anyone have experience of growing large sunflowers in containers versus in
the soil. Our soil is heavy clay and I wonderd if they would do better in
containers. Any experience?

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Chris Stewart

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of growing large sunflowers in containers

versus in
the soil. Our soil is heavy clay and I wonderd if they would do better in
containers. Any experience?

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Hi,
We plant them most years in pots - keep repotting up to a 12" pot -
they'll grow to 6 - 8 ft or so - no probs. I'm in Aberdeen by the way, so
the weather isn't tropical! I still have to water them, though, even in
Aberdeen!
Chris

Old 27-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Carl Spaul

Jonathan Ward wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of growing large sunflowers in containers

versus in
the soil. Our soil is heavy clay and I wonderd if they would do better in
containers. Any experience?

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying
Hi,

We have heavy clay soil too, but It doesn't seem to bother ours too
much as long as we start them off in pots and then plant once they reach
about 3 inches, also if you are going to put the seed straight out, watch
out for wood pigeons and collar doves, they're not as stupid as they look.
Carl.