Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default Dividing & feeding a Bamboo

We have a couple of bamboo bought from a general diy shop/garden centre
which are in pots.

One of them looks a bit cramped in the pot .

I understand you can divide bamboo's and so I could get 2 or more for
the price of one. When would be a good time to do this ?

Also when and with what should you feed bamboo's ?

Cheers

Colin

Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Gardening_Convert wrote:
We have a couple of bamboo bought from a general diy shop/garden
centre which are in pots.

One of them looks a bit cramped in the pot .

I understand you can divide bamboo's and so I could get 2 or more for
the price of one. When would be a good time to do this ?

Also when and with what should you feed bamboo's ?

Second half of April or thereabouts for me. Make sure any piece you hack
off -- they're very tough -- has plenty of roots of its own. But
assuming you want to grow your divisions in a container, I suggest John
Innes rather than the soil-less mixtures. You could use good garden soil
mixed with about a third used growbag stuff and up to a dessertspoonful
of Growmore. The old plant probably wants to be repotted with as much
fresh stuff as you can work in.

In the ground they don't want any special feeding as long as the soil's
in good heart -- dig in some bonemeal, of course, and compost if you've
got it. You could do that now, so the soil's settled well before you
plant them out.

Gosh! I've just thought...this _is_ a dwarf bamboo, isn't it? If not, I
don't think a pot's going to give it enough room.

--
Mike.

dividing bamboo seneca Bamboo 11 23-08-2008 02:38 PM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Dividing new bamboo plant Mike Hunter United Kingdom 16 16-05-2003 05:20 AM
Bamboo from B&&Q - need info Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 2 08-04-2003 12:20 PM
Dividing begonia bulbs [email protected] Gardening 3 14-03-2003 04:44 PM