GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/123562-reasonably-priced-paraffin-reading-berkshire.html)

[email protected] 15-02-2006 06:17 PM

Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Rusty Hinge 2 16-02-2006 02:34 AM

Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

The message .com
from contains these words:

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

There is no such thing as reasonably-priced paraffin these days.

Depending on what you want it for, you can use light heating oil, which
*IS* cheap.

Well, somewhat cheaper.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Ann Heanes 16-02-2006 09:58 AM

Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Have you tried Ward & Co. near the fire station at Earley?
Grannie Annie

[email protected] 16-02-2006 12:00 PM

Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

Best I can get is Harringtons Coronation Sq Southcote dispensed 1
gallon 3.95

Ward & Co prepacked 4L 4.99

Dave Liquorice 16-02-2006 01:57 PM

On 16 Feb 2006 04:00:31 -0800, wrote:

Best I can get is Harringtons Coronation Sq Southcote dispensed 1
gallon 3.95

Ward & Co prepacked 4L 4.99

I think it's been mentioned before but "paraffin" is nothing more than
28sec domestic heating oil also know as kerosene. It might have a pretty
pink dye and some perfume added but is that worth £3?

Find someone with oil central heating and slip 'em a couple of quid for a
gallon, the tank should have a drain tap to enable easy filling of a
container. 28sec heating oil is around 35p/l inc VAT @ 5% as it's
doemstic fuel. A gallon is nothing for a boiler, ours will burn that in
an hour... it is a big boiler though a more normal sized one might take
two hours. B-)

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rusty Hinge 2 16-02-2006 02:46 PM

Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

The message . com
from contains these words:

Best I can get is Harringtons Coronation Sq Southcote dispensed 1
gallon 3.95

That *IS* cheap nowadays.

nostalgia

I remember when it was 2/- a gallon - and it was that price for
absolutely ages.

/nostalgia

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Chris Bacon 16-02-2006 03:51 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think it's been mentioned before but "paraffin" is nothing more than
28sec domestic heating oil also know as kerosene.

Paraffin as used in lamps, portable heaters, blowlamps, etc. is
certainly not the same as domestic heating oil. 28 second oil
has a much higher char value (you could say that paraffin is
more refined). I just called a company to check their prices -
they will dispense paraffin into your own container (25 litre
plastic, 5l plastic, jerrycan, etc.) for 65p/litre. Kerosine
similarly collected is 50p/litre. Prices for large amounts
are "much cheaper".

So, get suitable containers, and take them to be filled at
your local oil fuel distributer/supplier (look in the Yellow
Pages). 1 gallon will be about £2.93, 4L about £2.60.

N.B. if you use heating oil in things designed for paraffin,
the wicks will become clogged and smoky rather quickly.

Neil Cairns 16-02-2006 09:39 PM

On 15 Feb 2006 10:17:34 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Check your local garages as some have a parafin pump, I pay £11.00 for
20 lts or 4 &1/2 Gal.
Neil

Gordon Barclay 07-02-2007 07:49 PM

What is the name/location of the garages with pumps?

thanks