Old 15-02-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reasonably priced paraffin - Reading Berkshire?

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Old 16-02-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Heanes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Have you tried Ward & Co. near the fire station at Earley?
Grannie Annie

Old 16-02-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Best I can get is Harringtons Coronation Sq Southcote dispensed 1
gallon 3.95

Ward & Co prepacked 4L 4.99

Old 16-02-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I think it's been mentioned before but "paraffin" is nothing more than
28sec domestic heating oil also know as kerosene.

Paraffin as used in lamps, portable heaters, blowlamps, etc. is
certainly not the same as domestic heating oil. 28 second oil
has a much higher char value (you could say that paraffin is
more refined). I just called a company to check their prices -
they will dispense paraffin into your own container (25 litre
plastic, 5l plastic, jerrycan, etc.) for 65p/litre. Kerosine
similarly collected is 50p/litre. Prices for large amounts
are "much cheaper".

So, get suitable containers, and take them to be filled at
your local oil fuel distributer/supplier (look in the Yellow
Pages). 1 gallon will be about £2.93, 4L about £2.60.

N.B. if you use heating oil in things designed for paraffin,
the wicks will become clogged and smoky rather quickly.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

On 15 Feb 2006 10:17:34 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced paraffin, by the
gallon near Reading Berkshire?

Check your local garages as some have a parafin pump, I pay £11.00 for
20 lts or 4 &1/2 Gal.
Neil
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered User

What is the name/location of the garages with pumps?

thanks