GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting potatoes that turned Green (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/123845-planting-potatoes-turned-green.html)

Cal Mac 23-02-2006 08:44 PM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

Hi

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.
Cal.

Mike Lyle 23-02-2006 09:57 PM

Cal Mac wrote:
Hi

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.
Cal.

Certainly: they're just doing what comes naturally. The only thing is
that if your garage is heated, I wonder if the shoots may get a bit
long, and so more vulnerable to frost. Still just "thinking aloud", if
they do seem rather well-developed at planting time, I'd think about
putting them in a week or two later than normal (whatever "normal" is
for your area); but it probably doesn't matter.

--
Mike.

Rusty Hinge 2 23-02-2006 10:15 PM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

The message lgate.org
from "Cal Mac" contains these words:

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.

Yes, but (outside) not yet.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Robert 24-02-2006 08:35 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

k...
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Nick Maclaren 24-02-2006 09:12 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

In article ,
Robert wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
. uk...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 24-02-2006 12:27 PM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

On 24/2/06 8:35, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Well, looking at today near and in Ashburton, I wish you luck!! Brrrrrrr!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

shazzbat 24-02-2006 01:20 PM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Robert wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
.uk...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Go on, say it. We're gardeners, our world is dominated by the endlessly
repeating cycles of life and death and sex and shit. There's no point in
being coy.

Steve

Nick Maclaren 24-02-2006 01:35 PM

"shazzbat" writes:

| Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
| as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.
|
| Go on, say it. We're gardeners, our world is dominated by the endlessly
| repeating cycles of life and death and sex and shit. There's no point in
| being coy.

Don't you know the well-known expression?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Hinge 2 24-02-2006 02:32 PM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

The message
In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
| as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.
|
| Go on, say it. We're gardeners, our world is dominated by the endlessly
| repeating cycles of life and death and sex and shit. There's no point in
| being coy.

Don't you know the well-known expression?

Don't be coy.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 25-02-2006 12:28 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Don't be coy.

Affectedly modest or shy especially in a playful or provocative way,
showing marked and often playful or irritating evasiveness or
reluctance to make a definite or committing statement, like a wild
young colt.

Well I never, Mr Maclaren ;o)

Nor did I, and I'm not going to start now.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Janet Tweedy 25-02-2006 11:25 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

-5 by next Thursday Friday according to Met Office plus snow everywhere
-10 in Scotland from tomorrow likely.

No chance spring then .....................
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy 25-02-2006 11:26 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Well I never, Mr Maclaren ;o)

Nor did I, and I'm not going to start now.

Too cold anyway ..................

Rusty Hinge 2 27-02-2006 12:23 AM

Planting potatoes that turned Green

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

-5 by next Thursday Friday according to Met Office plus snow everywhere
-10 in Scotland from tomorrow likely.

No chance spring then .....................

The island's first lamb was born this week, and my daffodils are out.

And what is their demand? More pay or better conditions?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

herbgrower 05-03-2006 11:28 PM

Well given the past week of snow i'm glad i didn't plant mine outside.