Old 23-02-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cal Mac

Default Planting potatoes that turned Green

Hi

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.
Cal.

Old 23-02-2006, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Cal Mac wrote:
Hi

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.
Cal.

Certainly: they're just doing what comes naturally. The only thing is
that if your garage is heated, I wonder if the shoots may get a bit
long, and so more vulnerable to frost. Still just "thinking aloud", if
they do seem rather well-developed at planting time, I'd think about
putting them in a week or two later than normal (whatever "normal" is
for your area); but it probably doesn't matter.

--
Mike.

Old 23-02-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message lgate.org
from "Cal Mac" contains these words:

I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
wondering if it was safe to plant them...
Thanks in advance.

Yes, but (outside) not yet.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 24-02-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

k...
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Old 24-02-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Robert wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
. uk...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-02-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 24/2/06 8:35, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Well, looking at today near and in Ashburton, I wish you luck!! Brrrrrrr!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-02-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Robert wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
.uk...
: The message lgate.org
: from "Cal Mac" contains these words:
:
: I kept potatoes in the garage from last year but light got to them and
: they turned green...They have started sprouting recently and i was
: wondering if it was safe to plant them...
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Yes, but (outside) not yet.
:
We are planting our first ones in Plymouth. I know they'll need protection
from the late frosts but that's a chance we take ..... sometimes lol

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Go on, say it. We're gardeners, our world is dominated by the endlessly
repeating cycles of life and death and sex and shit. There's no point in
being coy.

Steve

Old 24-02-2006, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
| as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.
|
| Go on, say it. We're gardeners, our world is dominated by the endlessly
| repeating cycles of life and death and sex and shit. There's no point in
| being coy.

Don't you know the well-known expression?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-02-2006, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Don't be coy.

Affectedly modest or shy especially in a playful or provocative way,
showing marked and often playful or irritating evasiveness or
reluctance to make a definite or committing statement, like a wild
young colt.

Well I never, Mr Maclaren ;o)

Nor did I, and I'm not going to start now.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-02-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Cambridge is still getting regular frosts, and the ground is as cold
as a witch's, er, perhaps I had better not say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

-5 by next Thursday Friday according to Met Office plus snow everywhere
-10 in Scotland from tomorrow likely.

No chance spring then .....................
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-02-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Well I never, Mr Maclaren ;o)

Nor did I, and I'm not going to start now.

Too cold anyway ..................

Old 27-02-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

-5 by next Thursday Friday according to Met Office plus snow everywhere
-10 in Scotland from tomorrow likely.

No chance spring then .....................

The island's first lamb was born this week, and my daffodils are out.

And what is their demand? More pay or better conditions?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig